Delhi, braving the chill and making news!
29 Dec 2016
- Delhi's popular shopping destination, Khan market's authorities have refused any addition to the security, fearing that increased security will drive away the customers.
- Meanwhile, commuters are protesting against the proposed resumption of toll-collection at Gurugram expressway.
- In other news, search is on for the new director of AIIMS.
- And who became the latest victim of the BJP-AAP tussle in Delhi, tap in for details.
Naini Lake sacrificed at the altar of BJP-AAP tussle
- The revival plan of Naini Lake has died a natural death amidst the political tussle between the BJP and AAP.
- It was to be redeveloped by the Delhi government which was taken over by BJP-led municipal corporation.
- The corporation initiated recreational activities on the lake instead of its ecological revival.
- Delhi government minister said that lake will be revived after party wins the polls.
Panel reconstituted to select AIIMS director
- After directions from the Prime Minister's Office, a new panel was constituted to shortlist names for the post of director for AIIMS.
- CK Mishra, health secretary has replaced health minister JP Nadda as the head of the new five-member committee.
- Selection committee was reconstituted after allegations of nepotism was levelled against some members of the former panel.
- 53 names have come-up for the post.
HC acquits man accused for dowry death after 32 years
- The High Court acquitted a man, accused of "driving his wife to burn herself" for dowry after 32 years for lack of evidence.
- The court said that the prosecution "miserably failed" to provide any proof to show that the wife was subjected to any cruelty or harassment for dowry.
- The wife committed suicide by burning herself within a year of marriage in 1987.
Khan market says no to added security
- Representatives from Khan Market, in their monthly meeting with police refused any more security in the area.
- Traders fear that more security will scare away customers and business which is already suffering post-demonetization, will be further hit.
- Shopkeepers said that the usually crowded market with American tourists and native buyers during Christmas is deserted due to demonetization and the advisory issued by US Embassy.
Teacher training to be upgraded in Delhi
29 Dec 2016
- In a meeting chaired by Manish Sisodia, the Delhi-government has decided to set up two new District Institutes of Education and Training.
- The number of vacancies have also been increased at SCERT and DIET, to around 600.
- Two new courses will be added to DIET curriculum.
- Salary-packages and qualifications of faculty at these institutes, have been proposed to be upgraded to the UGC levels.
Activists oppose toll collection at Gurugram expressway
- There have been reports of toll collection being resumed by the operators at the Gurugram expressway.
- Commuters and police officials are against the toll collection due to the heavy flow of traffic on the expressway, which has doubled after toll was stopped.
- NGO worker said that resumption of toll collection was an attempt to rescue PSU banks, which have extended loans to highway projects.
Country's first digital investigation centre comes up in Haryana
- Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar inaugurated the Digital Investigation Training and Analytics Centre, country's first digital investigation centre.
- The centre will train police personnel in dealing with cyber crimes and will also train them in keeping a tab on the content on social media.
- The centre has a 'cyber forensic and monitoring lab' which will help Haryana police in digital investigations.
After demonetization, Khan Market doesn't want added security around NYE, says it might keep customers away