What's making news in Delhi today?
04 Jan 2017
- Investigations of the custodial death revealed the involvement of the station house officer (SHO) along with 5 other policemen in the murder.
- In another news, Manoj Tiwari wrote a letter to Kejriwal, appealing him to focus on the condition of "the people who voted him to power."
- Delhiites must be prepared for showers by the end of this week. Tap in to know more.
PWD denies being Gurugram's road repair agency
- According to the Public Works Department (PWD), it wasn't appointed as Gurugram's premier agency for completing road repairs.
- In September 2016, CM Manohar Lal Khattar announced that by 1st November, 2016, PWD would complete the repair work; however, according to a senior district administration official, PWD was evasive in carrying out repairs.
- The Municipal Corporation of Gurgaon (MCG) is now in-charge for the same.
Cop's official car used to dump Sompal's body
- Ongoing investigations into the alleged custodial death of 24-year-old fruit seller Sompal disclosed that the official car of the station house officer (SHO) was used to dump Sompal's body.
- According to sources, the SHO was helped by 5 other policemen.
- "Administrative action has been taken. An FIR has been registered. The SHO and other officers have been removed from their post," said a spokesperson.
Manoj Tiwari urges Kejriwal to focus on Delhi's development
BJP vs AAP
- According to Delhi BJP Chief Manoj Tiwari's allegations, the AAP government has failed to provide adequate water supply and improved sanitation in Delhi's colonies.
- Tiwari also wrote to the Chief Minister after spending one night at a slum in Inderpuri on 31st December, 2016.
- He said, "Kejriwal must at least go and see the condition of the people who voted him to power."
Ghaziabad's road fatalities were at a five-year high in 2016
- According to official statistics, 2016 recorded the highest number of road fatalities in the last five years.
- In the 883 accidents that took place in 2016, 424 people lost their lives and 841 people were injured.
- In 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015, the fatalities stood at 378, 399, 387 and 331 respectively.
- 2017 has already recorded a few accidents.
Delhi should expect showers at the end of the week
- The Met department predicted rains for Delhi on Friday and Saturday; this will bring down temperatures during the day.
- The Met office at the Indira Gandhi International airport said, "The Delhi airport faced the third worst dense fog of this season after 2nd December and 14th December, 2016."
- Tuesday's maximum and minimum temperatures were higher than the normal average.
Nursery admissions now have an upper-age limit
- Private schools of Delhi have set an upper-age limit for nursery admissions even though older children can be admitted.
- This is because directions sent by the department of education lack clarity in their wording, allowing schools to bypass the same.
- "There is no bar to admit students above the minimum age fixed by the department," reads the order.
BRT set to be redesigned for ₹80 crore
- The Public Works Department is set to redesign the BRT corridor; the 6.2 km stretch will be made at a cost of ₹80 crore.
- Earlier, officials had estimated the redesigning cost to be ₹10.97 crore.
- "Now there is a plan to construct give submerged/humped subways along the stretch and redesign it completely, which is why the budget has increased," said a senior official.
Despite CM's announcement, PWD denies being Gurgaon's nodal road repair agency | gurgaon | Hindustan Times
PC: 'Manoj Tiwari at the launch of TP Aggarwal's trade magazine 'Blockbuster' 22' By http://www.bollywoodhungama.com [CC BY 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons