Star War's 7th edition to amaze the fans
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens is the 7th installment of the Star Wars franchise.
- This 2015 space opera is being co-produced, directed and co-written by J. J. Abrams.
- The movie stars celebrated actors like Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Lupita Nyong'o, Domhnall Gleeson, Peter Mayhew, Anthony Daniels, and Max von Sydow.
What the movie is about?
- 30 years after the defeat of the Galactic Empire, the galaxy is threatened by First Order and Kylo Ren (Adam Driver).
- A defector named Finn crash-lands on a desert planet and meets Rey(Daisy Ridley) whose droid contains a top-secret map.
- They join Han Solo (Harrison Ford) to make sure the Resistance gets the intelligence regarding the whereabouts of Luke Skywalker (last of Jedi Knights).
Harrison Ford may take home a galactic $34mn
Harrison Ford who is the most revered name on the Star War cast may take home a whopping $34 mn ($25m upfront payment and a 0.5% share of the film’s gross earnings of approximate $9 mn) making him one of Hollywood's top earners for 2015.
Star War's late arrival: Indian blockbusters to be blamed
- Though the movie opened globally on 18 December 2015, its arrival in India and China has been delayed to 25 December and 9 January respectively.
- Sources claimed that Walt Disney Co. that owns the rights to the franchise "didn't want one of the most highly-anticipated movies in a decade to go head-to-head with some of Bollywood's biggest names" i.e Dilwale and Bajirao Mastani.
Star Wars woos fans and critics alike
- The new Star Wars rendition received glowing reviews from fans and critics alike.
- While the Guardian and The Daily Telegraph both gave the film 5 out of 5 stars, The Washington Post said the film had "enough novelty to create yet another cohort of die-hard fans".
- Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes gave it 8.3/10 rating and Metacritic gave it a 'universal acclaim' review.
The force awakens to $100 million in advanced-bookings
The popularity of the movie can be gauged from the fact that its franchise reported that more "than $100 million in advance tickets were sold" before the opening of The Force Awakens, setting a new record.
Star Wars movie becomes biggest opener ever
- Going by the opening weekend sales for the new Star Wars movie, the force seems to be really strong here as it has crushed previous records at the Canadian and US box office by earning a gargantuan $238 million (almost ₹428 crores).
- Internationally, Star Wars: The Force Awakens roped in an approximate $517 million breaking records for biggest opening weekend in "18 other countries".
Happy Star Wars Day!
- Fans across the world will celebrate the Star Wars Day.
- May 4, or "May the 4th Be With You," denotes a festival of all things "Star Wars."
- The date was selected for being a pun on the catchphrase "May the Force be with you".
- Twitter will feature a live stream of puns and memes under the StarWarsDay hashtag.