Inception of Jurassic Park
- Jurassic Park was a science fiction book featuring dinosaurs in the human world, released in 1990, penned by Michael Crichton. The book was divided into 7 sections.
- In 1993, the book was made into a major motion picture by the same name.
- A sequel to it-The Lost World was published in 1995 and like its first part, went on to become a bestseller.
Spielberg bought rights before the book was released
Steven Spielberg had bought the rights of Crichton's book even before it was released. Crichton launched the book in 1990; the pre-production of the movie had already begun in 1989.
Jurassic merchandise beats Batman at the sales game
- The Jurassic Park merchandise hit the stores on June 1993 and went on to surpass the $1 billion sales mark in retail.
- A 100 odd licensees of the products such as McDonald's soda cups and Kenner's dinosaurs worth $40 with removable skins went on to beat the sales of Batman products.
Box office unimpressed with Jurassic sequels
- While the first movie made over a billion dollars at the box office, its sequels did not impress the audience much.
- The Lost World made $229,086,679 while Jurassic Park III made $181,171,875.
- It was also noteworthy that while the first two movies were based on the books, the third part was not. Only a few scenes in the movie were inspired by Crichton's novel.
Jurassic walks away with Oscar fame
Steven Spielberg's 'Jurassic Park' won 3 Oscars for Best Visual Effects, Best Sound and Best Sound Effects Editing. Its sequel 'The Lost World' earned another nomination for Best Visual Effects.
The Jurassic World sprints past hurdles
- Jurassic World comes 9 years after its prequel.
- Jurassic World began production in 2004 and was supposed to release in 2005 but was pushed back due to "development hell".
- Its script was revised twice before being rejected all together. It took the joint efforts of Crichton, Trevorrow, Amanada Silver, Rick Jaffa and Derek Connolly to complete the script.
Jurassic Park vs Jurassic World: Box office collections
- Jurassic World released on 12 June 2015 and grossed a whopping $24,500,000 after one day of its release. The movie is directed by Colin Trevorrow.
- Jurassic Park, directed by Steven Spielberg released on 11 June 1993 and made a box office collection of $1,038,812,599 and an opening collection of $50,159,460.
- The common denominator between the two movies is B.D. Wong as Dr. Henry Wu.