Mumbai techie missing story
- The Mumbai techie named Hamid Nehal Ansari, considered lost and who has been found after 3 years, was a MBA graduate and was teaching in Mumbai Management College.
- He had travelled to Afghanistan to find a better job in 2012.
- Fauzia Ansari suspected that her son has crossed over to Pakistan with two Pakistani nationals, Atta ur Rehman and Saba Khan.
Incidents leading to his disappearance
15 Nov 2012
- On further probe, Atta ur Rehman's employer confirmed that Ansari was headed to Kohat, Pakistan.
- On 15 November 2012, when Ansari's phone became unreachable, his parents in Mumbai filed a missing complaint of their 28-year old son who had disappeared in Pakistan.
- The petition also said that Ansari had got in touch with a Pakistani girl on Facebook and entered Pakistan without a visa.
Who was Saba Khan?
Saba Khan was a Pashtun girl from Kohat who Hamid Ansari was in touch with through Facebook. Hamid was trying to help this tribal girl who was being ill-treated in Pakistan.
Efforts to track Ansari
- The Pakistani police, along with the Intelligence team, captured Ansari from a Kohat hotel on 12 November 2012.
- The missing complaint was forwarded to the Afghan consulate and further moved to the Supreme Court in Islamabad, which finally forwarded it to Commission of Enquiry in March 2014.
- Following this, the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Home and Tribal Affairs department formed a Joint Investigation team to track Ansari.
Mumbai techie alive; facing military trials
15 Jan 2016
- A 30-year-old engineer who had gone missing over three years ago was being held in a Pakistani jail and facing trial in military courts.
- Relieved by his appearance, Ansari's parents sought help from the Indian government to seek their son's release as he was only a victim of a conspiracy.
- Ansari is facing military trial for using fake documents to cross international boundaries.
India asks Pakistan for consular access to Indian techie
16 Jan 2016
- The Indian high commission has requested the Pakistan administration for consular access to Hamid Nehal Ansari, the Mumbai man who is in the custody of the Pakistan army.
- The announcement was made by External-Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj in a tweet.
- Ansari's mother thanked the government for their efforts to help her son and said she saw the letters sent to the Pakistan High Commission.
Love’s Labour Lost | Tehelka - Investigations, Latest News, Politics, Analysis, Blogs, Culture, Photos, Videos, Podcasts
PC:'Missing image text' by SweetNightmares - Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons
Mumbai engineer Hamid Ansari in Pak custody; facing trial in military court | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis
Journey of Hamid Ansari, the man who travelled to Afghanistan and later traced in Pakistan - IBNLive