Game of Thrones: Martin pens a fantastical world
- The TV series Game of Thrones is based on George R.R. Martin's fantasy novels.
- Game of Thrones is the first book in the series called "A Song of Ice and Fire" and was first published on 6 August 1996.
- The novella has grown from a proposed trilogy to seven editions; two of which remain to be finished.
Game of Thrones makes it TV debut
- The season 1 of Game of Thrones consisted of ten episodes, started filming in 2009 and finally premiered on HBO in 2011.
- Selling over 350,000 DVDs in the first 7 days, the season 1 decapitated the sales record of any series.
- Made with a budget of $60 million, Game of Thrones even won critical acclaim by winning a Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation.
Dothraki world gets a brand new language
The Dothraki language was written specifically for the TV series by the linguist David J Peterson and is based on Martin's novels. It consists of over 3000 words.
Multiplying fame with each passing season
- Season 2 of Game of Thrones consisted of 10 episodes and premiered in 2012, with a budget 15% higher than the first season.
- Season 3 premiered in 2013 and saw the comeback of David Benioff and D.B.Weiss as executive producers and show runners.
- The 4th season of Game of Thrones saw a marked increase in viewership when launched in November 2013.
TV series fast catching up with novels
- Author George RR Martin admitted that the Game of Thrones TV adaptation is fast catching up with his novels, which has added pressure on him to speeden up the writing process.
- David Benioff and Dan Weiss, the producers of the show already know the ending of the show in case the book takes longer than expected.
Chaplin's legacy features in Game of Thrones
Talisa Maegyr, Robb Stark's wife is played by Oona Chaplin, who is none other than the grand daughter of the much celebrated silent movie actor Charlie Chaplin.
Game of Thrones inspiring many genres
- Coldplay's "Game of Thrones: The Musical" was a comic take on the show and raised $21 million for Red Nose Day Charities to help children.
- Game of Thrones video games based on the series were launched in December 2014 and has produced 4 episodes so far, each receiving positive views.
- A porn parody on the series titled "Game of Bones" has been made too.
Game of Thrones' thrilling season finale (spoiler alert!)
- Season 5 Game of Thrones finale did not dissappoint its fans; with a staggering number of beheadings, stabbings and burning to have cheered them on.
- John Snow and Stannis Baratheon were killed off; Cersei's climatic walk of shame was an episodic high.
- Twitter fans have reported shock, dismay, agony; the exact reaction that Game of Thrones was seeking.
Say hello to 'Game of Thrones: Season 6' trailer
- The much-anticipated trailer of Game of Thrones' Season 6 was unveiled today.
- The trailer gives some respite to the inevitable question: Will Jon Snow feature in Season 6? The answer is yes (but primarily as a corpse).
- A scene at King's Landing, with Jaime promising Cersei to get back everything taken from them "and more," and Balon Greyjoy's death were some notable moments.
Game of Thrones gets an aftershow- 'After the Thrones'
- HBO's Game of Thrones series will now have an aftershow called 'After the Thrones'.
- The aftershow will premiere a day after the 6th season debuts on 25 April on HBO Now, HBO Go and HBO On-Demand services.
- Celebrity guest interviews, producers and various stars of the show will be seen on 'After the Thrones'.
- It will be hosted by Andy Greenwald and Chris Ryan.