World Cup hero battles cancer
- In 2011, Yuvraj was diagnosed with a cancerous tumor stage- in his left lung and a subsequent chemotherapy treatment ensued.
- He chose treatment from Cancer Research Institute in Boston and subsequently in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- He battled the disease with fortitude which became an inspiration for his fans and other people suffering the disease.
Cancer that gripped Yuvraj
The “golf ball-sized” tumour was Seminona. In Yuvraj’s case, it was found in the superior mediastinal region (area between his lungs, above the heart).
The prodigal son returns and how
9 Apr 2012
- In March 2012, Yuvraj was discharged after having finished the third and final cycle of chemotherapy.
- He returned to India in April, showing all signs of remittance from seminoma.
- He was given a heart-warming welcome and a rather touching 19 second video on Twitter by Lance Armstrong, whom Yuvraj drew inspiration from, while in the US.
Inception of the YouWeCan Foundation
6 Jul 2012
- In 2012, the Yuvraj Singh Foundation initiated the YouWeCan program
- The foundation aimed at spreading awareness amongst people by telling them about the advantages of early detection of cancer and how to fight it.
- With this, he worked towards setting up cancer detection centers. He also initiated the Speak Up Campaign to fight the stigma attached with cancer.
Yuvraj’s rolls out support in all ways possible
20 Mar 2013
- In February 2013, YouWeCan joined hands with the NGO Navbharat Sewa Samiti to roll-out a campaign named "Cancer Mukt Purvi Dilli" focusing on awareness, education and early detection of the disease.
- The following month saw the release of his book "The Test of My Life: From Cricket to Cancer and Back", the first 20 copies of which were auctioned
Yuvraj paints the Delhi Daredevils Purple
28 Apr 2015
- In yet another philanthropic endeavour, Yuvraj Singh enunciated a tie up with his IPL franchise to promote cancer awareness.
- This meant that Delhi Daredevils' next match against Kings XI Punjab would be devoted to those battling this disease.
- May 1 also saw free cancer detection clinics being set-up, aided by Yuvraj's cancer foundation 'YouWeCan' in alliance with Delhi Daredevils and Max Hospitals.
Yuvraj Singh becomes a start-up investor
21 Jun 2015
- On 20 April 2015, Yuvraj Singh made his investment debut through a beauty and wellness app-Vyomo.
- The app aspires to build a complete solution for beauty professionals to expand their business through a smartphone.
- On 21 June 2015, Yuvraj invested in Delhi-based on-demand logistics booking platform Moovo.
- The online platform offers on-demand booking services for mini-trucks via a mobile app, a website and call-centres.
Yuvraj Singh invests in EduKart, Healthian.com
27 Jun 2015
- Yuvraj Singh along with Holostik Group's United Finsec and 500 Start-Ups has invested $1 million in EduKart, an education marketplace.
- Singh who battled cancer recently, also invested in Healthians.com saying that he was keen to promote "preventive healthcare in India."
- Healthians.com will help set up 20 diagnostic labs in India and start a health profile website, thereby providing affordable healthcare.
Yuvraj Singh's back and how after his battle with cancer! | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis
PC: 'Lance Armstrong MidiLibre 2002' by de:Benutzer:Hase - Self-photographed. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons