Modi announces #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Addressing the nation on the ninth edition of "Mann ki Baat" over radio, Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched a campaign #SelfieWithDaughter.
- He urged fathers to take selfies with their daughters and post them on social media.
- He also asked people to write a line or two in the tag line with the selfies in order to support the "Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao" campaign.
Shruti Seth criticizes Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- After PM Modi launched #SelfieWithDaughter campaign, Shruti Seth disagreed with the PM's way of creating awareness about female infanticide.
- She took to Twitter to express her opinion, "A selfie is not a device to bring about change Mr. PM. Try reform. #selfieobsessedPM"
- She further tweeted that change was needed in those illiterate parts of our country where phones with front cameras don't exist.
Shruti Seth receives flak for criticizing #SelfieWithDaughter
- Soon after Shruti expressed her opinion about the #SelfieWithDaughter campaign being just a gimmick and an eyewash for society, her Twitter feed was flooded with hate tweets.
- People called her a prostitute and questioned her and her mother's chastity. The abusive backlash continued relentlessly for 48 hours and Shruti was forced to delete her tweets.
- But she stood by her opinion till the end.
No country for women!
Before Shruti Seth, activist Kavita Krishnan had also been a victim of social media trolls and abuse for criticizing the #SelfieWithDaughter campaign. Krishnan had sent the snapshots of the backlash she received to the police and urged them to lodge a FIR.
Shruti Seth takes on haters on Twitter
- Shruti Seth once again took to Twitter to voice her opinion and fight back against the haters.
- She tweeted, "You've abused me, my parents, my husband, my daughter, my career over an opinion I stated. The darkness of this place leaves me hopeless."
- She further said that the hatred she encountered on a difference of opinion showed that India is no country for women.
Shruti Seth sends an open letter to the nation
- Responding to the abusive and hateful tweets which had pervaded all over Twitter against her, actor Shruti Seth has written a strong open letter addressing the whole nation.
- She has asked a simple question-"Is abuse an answer to dissent?"
- She questioned those men and women who abused her so relentlessly and cruelly if that was how they perceived women who had an opinion.