What is Nintendo?
- Nintendo Co. Ltd. is a Japanese multinational company and also the world's largest video game company by revenue.
- It was founded on 23 September 1889 by Fusajiro Yamauchi as a card company producing handmade cards for the game Hanafuda.
- The company has had only five presidents in over 100 years of operations; a replacement is being searched for, after its fifth president's sudden death.
Nintendo's early ventures!
- When Hiroshi Yamauchi took over the company from his grandfather Fusajiro Yamauchi in 1956, he started experimenting with new ventures apart from their traditional playing card games.
- During 1963-1968, Nintendo started a taxi company called Daiya, a love hotel chain, a food company selling instant rice and a TV network.
- All these ventures eventually failed and Nintendo shifted its focus to the gaming industry.
Super Mario Bros. is launched
- After several average video game attempts, Nintendo launched the platform video game Super Mario Bros in 1985 in Japan and in 1987 in North America, Europe and Australia.
- It went on to become one of the best-selling video games in history.
- The game sold over 40 million units in three decades and IGN's 2005 poll named it "The Greatest Game of all Time".
Ninetndo's worst-selling console!
Virtual Boy which was launched in 1995 is considered as Nintendo's worst-selling gaming consoles of all time. Only 770,000 units were sold due to the high price of $180 and an average red monochrome system.
Major controversies caused by Nintendo games
- Nintendo's Mario Party 8 was recalled from UK because one of the quotes in the game used the word 'spastic' which is considered as highly offensive.
- Mario Party1's mini-games required users to rotate the stick due to which many people injured their hands.
- A lawsuit was filed against Nintendo and they had to pay $ 80 million to the people who hurt themselves.
Nintendo's President Satoru Iwata dies at 55
13 Jul 2015
- Japanese video game making company - Nintendo's President, Satoru Iwata died on 11 July battling cancer.
- Iwata was considered to be a revolutionary figure in the Japanese gaming scene and had a big hand in the company's highly successful Wii and Nintendo DS consoles.
- As the news of his death came, fans started mourning and his name was trending within minutes on Twitter.
PC: 'Satoru Iwata - Game Developers Conference 2011 - Day 2 (1)' by Official GDC - Flickr: GDC 2011 3/2 (day 2). Licensed under CC BY 2.0 via Wikimedia Commons