Your mission, should you choose to accept it
- Mission: Impossible released in May 1996, as an American action spy film, starring Tom Cruise as IMF agent Ethan Hunt, who, suspected by his boss of having murdered his entire team, must uncover the real mole.
- The film was directed by Brian de Palma and produced by Tom Cruise, made a worldwide collection of $457.6 million, breaking several box office records.
Mission: Impossible on television
Mission: Impossible was originally a television series, and was based on the missions of a secret government force called the Impossible Missions Force. The signature act of the show was the self-destructing message, which was retained in the movies as well.
Mission impossible? Not really
- Mission: Impossible II became the second installment of the hugely popular series, with Tom Cruise returning to his role of Ethan Hunt.
- This time, Hunt had to prevent a rogue IMF agent from using a new bio-weapon called Chimera that he had managed to procure.
- Directed by John Woo, the film collected $546,388,105 worldwide and became the highest grossing film of 2000.
No stunt double for Cruise
Tom Cruise insisted on performing his own stunts, despite safety concerns from the studio. In MI: II, he did the action scene on the mountain without a safety net, and only a harness.
Hunt is back in the game!
- The third installment in the series showed Ethan Hunt retired from active work and only training recruits.
- Called back to save an operative that he had trained, he found himself embroiled in a web of deceit, pitched against a weapons dealer, his fiance's life at stake.
- This film grossed a worldwide $397.9 million, but was the lowest by far in the series.
The masked people
The series has always had top notch special effects, wildly improbable ideas and fantastic action sequences. One of the coolest things the 2nd movie came up with was the use of face masks to fake identities, which wreaked havoc in the movies.
How to be disavowed and yet awesome
- In this installment, the IMF, implicated in a terrorist bombing, had been disavowed.
- Ethan Hunt was left to bring together his own underground team, without support,without contacts, in order to try and clear the IMFs name.
- Gritty, intense and fast-paced, Ghost Protocol earned a worldwide total of $694,713,380, reaching the No.1 position in the BO and becoming the highest grossing film in the franchise.
Mission Impossible: Unstoppable rogue!
- The latest installment in the action spy series has been holding the No.1 position in the BO for the second week, and has made over $265 million worldwide already.
- In India, it made ₹7 crore on opening day.
- This time, Hunt and his team are required to eradicate a rogue organisation, which is just as skilled.
- Mission: Impossible--Rogue Nation has received generally favourable reviews.
Why should boys have all the fun?
Despite the series being male dominated, several actresses have been in the movies over the years. Vanessa Redgrave played Max in the first one, Thandie Newton played a professional thief in the second one, crucial to the operation.