Amit Mishra booked in alleged assault case
20 Oct 2015
- Indian cricketer Amit Mishra was booked for allegedly physically assaulting a woman.
- In her complaint, she said that she had visited Mishra's hotel room where she was assaulted.
- Mishra was booked under the Indian Penal Code sections 354 (assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty) and 328 (causing hurt with intent to commit an offence).
Who is Amit Mishra?
Amit Mishra is an an attacking right-arm leg-break bowler and right-handed tail-ender batsman, who plays in the Indian team. The assault case against him is a first in his clean career.
Who is the woman and what happened?
20 Oct 2015
- The assaulted woman was identified as Vandana Jain, a Bollywood producer and co-owner of Celebrity Cricket League's Bengal Tigers team.
- Mishra was in Bangalore for training at the National Cricket Academy (NCA).
- The woman claimed that she and Mishra were good friends but Mishra was trying to ignore her.
- She said that he tried to outrage her modesty in the hotel room.
Woman may withdraw case against Amit Mishra
22 Oct 2015
- The woman who had filed a physical assault case against Amit Mishra had decided to withdraw the case.
- She said that she was friends with Mishra and it was just a fight.
- She wanted to end the case in a friendly manner by appearing before the police with Mishra.
- She added that there was no pressure on her to withdraw the case.
Woman to not withdraw case against Mishra
24 Oct 2015
- The woman said that she won't withdraw the case as she was hurt physically, mentally and emotionally by the cricketer.
- She said Amit was in touch with her till October 21 but was unreachable thereafter.
- She wanted to talk to him in front of police to sort the matter.
- Mishra would appear before the police after the ongoing ODI series against South Africa ends.
Amit Mishra interrogated, arrested, bailed
27 Oct 2015
- Amit Mishra was interrogated by Ashok Nagar police in Bangalore in relation to the physical assault case.
- He was interrogated by Inspector Vijaya Hadagali at the Cubbon Park police station for over 3 hours.
- He was then arrested but let out on bail as this happened to be a bailable offence.
- The assaulted woman had filed a complaint against Mishra on October 20.
Amit Mishra 'tried to outrage my modesty', alleges woman who filed complaint against the leg-spinner - Firstpost
PC: 'A Russian poster urging open your eyes - against women being abused' by Denitza Tchacarova - Flickr. Licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0 via Commons