What is diaspora?
Diaspora refers to a scattered population that has a common geographical origin. People who migrate to other countries for work, out of persecution or personal choice, become their country's diaspora in the new country.
Indians in North America
- Indian immigration to North America started as early as the 1890s.
- There are nearly 13,00,000 Indians settled in Canada, and the Defence Minister of Canada, Harjit Sajjan, is a Sikh.
- There are nearly 33,00,000 Indians living in the US of which the largest group of 6,79,000 Indians, Iive in New York.
- Kalpana Chawla was the first Indian-American Astronaut.
Indians living in South America
- The migration of Indians to South America began during the colonial era.
- The French and Dutch colonialists "imported" Indians to Suriname.
- There are approximately 9300 Indians living in Brazil, and about 900 in Argentina. These are the two largest groups of Indians in South America.
- Indians primarily work as traders and shopkeepers in South America.
Indians in Europe
- There are approximately 1.6 million Indians in the UK. 45% of these are Hindus while 26% are Sikhs.
- In germany there are approximately 1.1million Indians, while in France there are approximately 400,000 Indians.
- There are also approximately 1,00,000 Indians living in the Netherlands.
- Indians in Europe are primarily engaged either as small business owners or in the service sector.
Indians in West Asia
- There are approximately 6 to 7 million Indians working across West Asia, most of who hail from the state of Kerala.
- Remittances from West Asian countries account for over $35 billion.
- A large proportion of Indians working in West Asia are employed either as contractual labor, or in senior positions in major companies.
- Saudi Arabia and UAE account for highest regional remittances to India.
Indian's in Africa
- The largest population of Indians in Africa are settled in East Africa, numbering over 30,00,000.
- These settlers traveled to Africa in pre-colonial times as traders and entrepreneurs.
- South Africa is the country with the largest population of Indians in Africa, with over 13,00,000 Indians.
- Indians in Africa run small businesses and are also heavily involved in import-export businesses.
Indians in Australia and New Zeland
- There are over 500,000 Indians living in Australia, accounting for a little over 2% of its population.
- There 186,000 Indians in New Zealand, accounting for over 4% of its population.
- Indians in Australia and New Zealand are largely comprised of individuals involved in technology, IT and business.
- Indian's make up one of the largest migrant communities in Australia and New Zealand.
India has largest diaspora population in the world
14 Jan 2016
- According to a survey conducted by the UN department of economic and social affairs (DESA), India has the largest diaspora population in the world, with 16 million Indians living abroad.
- Statistics indicate that over 244 million persons were living in a country other than where they were born in 2015.
- Europe is the most popular destination with over 76 million residents from other countries.
PC: 'Europe orthographic Caucasus Urals boundary' by Europe - Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Commons
PC: 'Location South America' by Bosonic dressing - Licensed under Public Domain via Wikimedia Commons
PC: 'Western Asia (orthographic projection)' by Keepscases - Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Commons