PM launches DD Kisan channel
26 May 2015
- Prime Minister Modi flagged DD Kisan, a television channel for farmers which is aimed to "provide information about best agricultural practices and related content".
- Modi said at the launch that it was important to make the farming sector "vibrant and dynamic".
- He further said that the channel would inform farmers about the fluctuation in weather as well as the global markets.
DD Kisan ropes in Amitabh Bachchan
Legendary actor Amitabh Bachchan became the face of the newly launched DD Kisan channel.
Farmers to get crop insurance soon
16 Jun 2015
- The Centre is gearing up to provide agriculture insurance scheme for farmers called 'Agriculture Income Insurance Scheme'.
- This scheme would ensure minimum returns to farmers if the crops fail.
- Radha Mohan Singh, Union agriculture minister said that the government would be making allocations to release funds for providing "₹50,000 per hectare under newly floated "Traditional Agriculture Development Scheme."
Maharashtra- the first to provide crop insurance
The state of Maharashtra has already doled out a crop insurance for home-grown crops, thus becoming the first state to provide crop insurance for farmers.
Government launches 3 portals for farmers
15 Jul 2015
- The centre released three new websites for farmers to provide easier access to "organic farming certification, fertiliser quality checks and disbursal of soil health cards".
- The three portals were 'Participatory Guarantee System', 'Soil Health Card' and 'Fertiliser Quality Control System'
- According to Radha Mohan Singh, Union Agriculture Minister "The three agricultural portals will bring transparency and accountability and help the farming community."
Bachchan in soup: Did he charge ₹6 crore?
25 Jul 2015
- After it was disclosed that Amitabh Bachchan was signed on to endorse DD Kisan channel for a fee of ₹6 crore, the news was severely criticised by Congress who thought this was wastage of public money.
- However, Bachchan denied taking any money saying that he had done it 'pro bono'.
- Following this, a probe was launched by I&B ministry into the matter.
DD Kisan 'Rath' reaches Maharashtra
4 Oct 2015
- Nitin Gadkari, the Union shipping and transport minister flagged off the Doordarshan Kisan Rath Yatra in Maharashtra.
- The yatra will travel across the state to instruct farmers.
- It is an extension of DD Kisan, a distinctive channel launched for farmers.
- The rath yatra is aimed to spread the word about the channel which is expected to bring a farming revolution.
Programme Kisan launched by government
5 Oct 2015
- The centre launched the pilot programme Kisan, which will utilise "satellite and drone-based imaging" and other geospatial technology to get up-to-date and specific data on crop produce.
- This programme will fasten the payment of crop insurance claims to the farmers.
- The centre also launched an android-based application for the accumulation of data of hailstorm to check the large-scale destruction to standing crops.
I&B probe into Rs 6 crore Amitabh Bachchan endorsement deal for DD Kisan leads nowhere - The Times of India
PC: 'Amitabh Bachchan December 2013' by TeachAIDS. Licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0 via Wikimedia Commons