Two and a half year old toddler raped
- A two and a half year old girl was abducted and raped while she was watching a 'ramlila' performance near her house.
- The neighbours had found her heavily bleeding and lying unconscious in a nearby park in West Delhi's Nangloi area.
- She had suffered severe damage to her private parts and had bite marks on her body; she was immediately taken to the hospital.
Protests in Delhi over the toddler's rape
- Almost 8 dozen people gathered near the toddler's home accusing the Delhi police of inaction.
- One of the protestors said that Delhi police has failed to arrest any accused and the city is becoming more unsafe day by day.
- The demonstrators expressed outrage over the fact that Delhi had witnesses several sexual assault cases against women and toddlers recently.
Kejriwal and Maliwal condemn law and order situation
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said that the repeated cases of rape in Delhi were worrying.
- He questioned Delhi Police's effectiveness and blamed PM Modi too for the law and order failure.
- Condemning the case, Delhi Commission for Women (DCW) Chairperson Swati Maliwal said that law and order is deteriorating and Centre and Delhi government should find a solution for this.
Two juveniles arrested in toddler rape case
- 250 locals were questioned by more than 15 teams of Delhi Police; finally they arrested two juveniles in relation with the rape of the minor girl.
- The juveniles aged around 17 years, lived in the same neighbourhood as the girl and were known to the girl's family.
- They had taken advantage of the 10-minute power cut in the area and had abducted the girl.
Video-footage theory gone wrong
The police had released a video from a security camera on 17th October that showed two men with a child on a bike but they turned out to be locals who were travelling with the daughter of one of the two riders.
Delhi becoming unsafe by the day
- India recorded 36,735 rape cases in 2014 with 2,096 of them in Delhi.
- Police data showed that this year six rape and 14 molestation cases were reported in the capital everyday.
- Police claimed that they had solved 90% of the reported cases.
- According to National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) data, 364 rape cases of girls aged below 10 were reported in 2013 and 2014.
Another incident on the same day
A five-year-old was raped by three men in east Delhi's Anand Vihar area on the same day as the two and half year old was raped.