Mumbai and all that's changing in it
11 Jan 2017
- The space under Lalbaug flyover is set to be revamped to include art installations and other amenities to attract residents.
- Old custom house is all set for facelift with murals that will depict the changing face of Mumbai.
- In another news, elections of civic bodies have been announced.
- To know which police department hasn't paid its electricity bills for a year, tap in!
Pacemaker implanted in premature baby
- A premature baby in Thane, weighing only 1.6 kg, was operated upon for a heart-abnormality and fitted with a pacemaker to ensure her heart keeps beating: her heart is currently the size of a walnut.
- Her condition was diagnosed in the 2nd trimester; her heart was beating much slower than normal and restricting her growth.
- The surgery was successful and baby is recuperating well.
Mumbai marathon aims to raise ₹30 crore
- The 14th edition of Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon (SCMM) will be held on January 15, 2017.
- This year SCMM expects funds raised for charity for causes such as children, environment, education, health, animal welfare etc. to exceed ₹30 crore.
- Well-known TV actors, employees of 150 companies including BNP Paribas, Godrej, Kotak Mahindra and key personalities are participating in the event to raise funds.
Under-bridge spaces revamped
- The 2.48 km stretch under Lalbaug flyover, currently in a state of neglect, is set to be beautified.
- BMC has approved a plan which will include art installations, dry landscape gardens designed in a manner to showcase the area's past and present.
- Restoration has been inspired by makeover under Matunga flyover which has a garden, walking track and other amenities to attract local residents.
Civic bodies' election dates announced
- JS Saharia, state election commissioner announced dates of elections for 10 municipal corporations, including BMC and 25 district councils' polls including Mumbai, Thane and Pune.
- Elections across 10 civic corporations are scheduled for February 21 and results will be announced on February 23.
- Zilla Parishad or district councils' elections are spread over two phases: February 16 and February 21.
Police departments default on paying electricity bills
- Office of Commissioner of Police is one of 7 police department offices in Navi Mumbai that have yet to pay electricity dues.
- Dues pending for a year currently amount to ₹15 lakh: notices by Maharashtra State electricity have been served on police department offices including that of the police chief.
- If concerned offices do not pay dues, connections will be disconnected and meters uninstalled.
Old custom house getting a facelift
- Old Custom House located in Fort, one of the oldest buildings in Mumbai, is getting a facelift.
- A mural which captures essence of Mumbai life over the decades will be the main attraction: it will include images of a fisherman, Victorias, black-and-yellow taxi, KalaGhoda, the Bandra-Worli sea-link and more.
- It will have poems inscribed by poets including Narayan Surve and Atmaram Patil.
Drunk driving kills one
- In a case of drunk driving, a Honda Accord rammed into a container on Eastern Express Highway yesterday morning.
- The driver and passenger, both men in their mid-20s were returning from a party in Versova and driving towards Ulhasnagar.
- The car tried to overtake a container but rammed into it instead.
- Driver survived with minor injuries but his friend in the passenger seat died.
Elections for BMC, TMC and 8 other civic bodies to take place on February 21, results on February 23 - Local Press Co
25gm pacemaker implanted in 1.6kg 'miracle' baby from Thane district | mumbai news | Hindustan Times