MCD employees protest demanding their salaries
28 Mar 2015
- MCD sanitation workers protested in Narela and near Laxmi Nagar metro station over non-payment of their salaries for over 2 months.
- The protest later took an ugly turn as protesters dumped garbage at MCD offices in Rohini, Narela and Civil Lines area.
- They threatened the Centre, AAP government and civic bodies that they would go on a strike if their demands were not fulfilled.
MCD East Delhi sanitation workers go on strike
29 Mar 2015
- Over 12,000 workers of BJP-ruled MCD East Delhi went on strike over non-payment of wages blowing off BJP's "Swachh Bharat Abhiyan."
- The workers were demanding the full payment of their salaries which have been delayed since February.
- The workers apart from refusing to clean the garbage, dumped it on the streets and in the middle of the roads causing traffic jams.
North MCD workers to continue strike
2 Apr 2015
- East Delhi MCD workers ended their strike after officials agreed to grant them cashless medical treatment and provide regularisation of services.
- North and South Corporation planned to continue their strike and East Delhi workers supported them even though they have called off their own strike.
- Following the East and North zone, South Delhi MCD workers were also planning to go on strike.
A dirty fact about the capital!
Delhi produces 9000 tonnes of garbage everyday. And by 2020, this will go upto 15000 tonnes.
MCD workers now protest outside Kejriwal’s house
8 Jun 2015
- After protesting for over 2 months and going on strikes, MCD workers protested outside Arvind Kejriwal's house over non-payment of their salaries.
- The CM was due to hold a meeting with the workers at the Ramlila Maidan later that day.
- Contractual employees of National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) and Reproductive and Child Health programme (RCH) protested outside Kejriwal's residence demanding regularisation of jobs.
East Delhi MCD sanitation workers’ call off strike
13 Jun 2015
- The sanitation workers of East Delhi Municipal Corporation Department (MCD) have ended their strike after the AAP government released Rs 513 crore to pay their salaries.
- Earlier in the day, Delhi Lt. Governor, Najeeb Jung had ordered a release of Rs 496 crore to the municipal corporation for the payment of workers' salaries.
- The workers are supposed to get their salaries within 2 days.
MCD workers on strike again
27 Jan 2016
- Workers from the Delhi sanitation department went on a strike seeking "immediate" release of funds for their salaries and arrears.
- Tourism Minister Kapil Mishra accused the BJP of creating this issue and stated that all dues have been cleared by Delhi government to the municipal bodies.
- He added that the commissioners of all three corporations submitted in writing that the funds were recieved.
Delhi HC issues notice, 1.5 lakh on strike
27 Jan 2016
- The Delhi HC issued notices to the Delhi government, North Delhi Municipal Corporation, South Delhi Municipal Corporation, East Delhi Municipal Corporation and Delhi Development Authority over the strike by MCD workers.
- Over 1.5 lakh workers of Delhi's three main civic bodies went on strike over non-payment of salary.
- The Delhi HC has set February 2 as the date for hearing the matter.
PWD workers to clean Delhi's streets
29 Jan 2016
- The Delhi government announced that the Public Work Departments (PWD) will be tasked with clearing the garbage mess in the city.
- Delhi Home Minister Satyendra Jain has formed the PWD task force with 100 trucks and 10 PWD workers in each truck.
- Stating that AAP also would be involved, Tourism Minister Kapil Mishra tweeted, "On Sunday, all the AAP ministers will clean the city."
Kejriwal supports striking workers, doctors join strike
31 Jan 2016
- CM Arvind Kejriwal tweeted his support to the protesting MCD workers' cause.
- Scores of BJP members joined the MCD workers as they took out a protest march in east Delhi.
- Associations of senior doctors, resident doctors, nurses, paramedical staff and other hospital staff also joined the strike.
- Delhi Health Minister Satyendra Jain held an emergency meeting at his residence to deal with the crisis.
Kejriwal offers ₹550 cr loan to MCD
3 Feb 2016
- Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal agreed to release a ₹550 crore loan to the Municipal Corporation of Delhi so it can pay their workers' salaries.
- Addressing a press conference, Kejriwal requested the striking workers to call off their protest in light of the loan being released.
- He also called for a CBI probe into allegations of corruption in the three municipal corporations led by BJP.
MCD strike enters 4th day: Delhi suffers as garbage piles on roads, streets, BJP workers join protesters : Mail Today, News - India Today
1.5 lakh MCD workers go on strike, High Court issues notice | Latest News & Gossip on Popular Trends at India.com
Arvind Kejriwal offers Rs 550 cr loan to MCD for paying salaries, requests workers to end strike | Zee News
PC:'Closeup of protesters at Ginowan protests 2009-11-08' by Nathan Keirn - Licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0 via Wikimedia Commons