Draft IIM bill put up for public opinion
13 Jun 2015
- Human Resource and Development (HRD) Ministry put up the draft IIM (Indian Institute of Management) bill, 2015 on its website for public opinion.
- IIMs currently do not function under an act of Parliament and hence cannot award degrees.
- The bill proposes to grant statutory status to 13 existing IIMs. This will let the institutes offer master's degrees and doctorates, instead of diplomas and fellowships.
What does the draft IIM bill say?
- The bill has some provisions which gives the government sweeping authority like:
- The Centre can make rules on the IIM directors' service terms and conditions.
- The Board of Governors will need Centre's approval to make rules on matters of fees, fellowships and scholarships, award of honorary degrees, appointment of staff, etc.
- Further, the draft grants powers to the Centre to override the Board.
IIMs express concern over draft bill
25 Jun 2015
- IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Lucknow and IIM Bangalore have expressed their concerns over the draft IIM bill to the HRD ministry.
- According to IIM-A, the clauses 35 and 36 were not a part of an earlier draft Bill of 2014 that the IIMs had agreed upon.
- IIMs said that this draft bill restricted their autonomy by making the Board accountable to the Ministry.
Bill initially proposed in 2012
The UPA government initially proposed the Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Bill in 2012. After the NDA came to power, the bill was again sent to the B-schools and was accepted by them in October 2014.
The contentious sections - 35 and 36
- Section 35 empowers the Union government among other things to "make rules, for carrying out the provisions of this Act".
- Section 36 states that "The Board may, with the approval of the central government, by notification, make regulations not inconsistent with this Act and the rules made there under to carry out the provisions of this Act".
HRD likely to redraft IIM bill
29 Jun 2015
- The IIM bill is likely to be redrafted to include changes suggested by some of the premier business schools.
- The bill therefore, may not be tabled in the monsoon session of the Parliament.
- A government official said that 3 sections—3(k), 35 and 36 will be reconsidered as some IIMs have raised objections to them. These sections empower the government to set rules for IIMs.
New IIM Bill limits Gujarat govt’s role in decision-making process | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis
PC: 'IIM Panorama Ahmedabad' by Mahargh Shah - Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons
PC: "IIMB Entrance" by Magentic Manifestations - Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons