Professor arrested for circulating cartoon on Mamata
14 Apr 2012
- Ambikesh Mahapatra, a chemistry professor in Jadavpur University, was arrested for circulating cartoons of Mamata Banerjee and railway minister Mukul Roy.
- He allegedly circulated emails containing a parody of Sonar Kella - a Satyajit Ray movie.
- Hundreds of TMC workers attacked his residence and forced him to confess in writing that he was a CPI(M) supporter.
2 Mumbai girls arrested for anti-Bal Thackeray post
20 Nov 2012
- Two girls from Mumbai were arrested after they questioned the city's shutdown for Bal Thackeray's funeral, on FB.
- An uncle of one of the girls was also assaulted by Sena activists.
- Shaheen Dhada and Renu Shrinivas were granted bail a few hours after they were presented in the court.
- Markandey Katju, chief of Press Council of India called for strict action against the Mumbai police.
Did you know?
Section 66A of the Information Technology (IT) Act, under which the Government arrested people for posting critical comments on social media, has now been declared unconstitutional and void by the SC.
Bhatkal youth arrested for WhatsApp message on Modi
26 May 2014
- Syed Vaqas, a 23-year-old MBA student from Bhatkal, was arrested for sending an objectionable message on Narendra Modi.
- The message was sent to an activist in Belgaum, Jayanth Tinekar.
- The message contained a photoshopped image showing the final rites of Modi being performed.
- Syed said that he was an AAP (Aam Aadmi Party) member from Bhatkal.
Youth arrested for anti-Mamata post
15 Oct 2014
- A youth from Malda, West Bengal was arrested for making a derogatory remark against CM Mamata Banerjee on Facebook.
- He was arrested on a complaint filed by TMC supporters.
- The court sent him to a 14-day judicial custody.
- The arrest has drawn criticism from the opposition party - CPI (M).
Youth arrested for FB post about Azam Khan
18 Mar 2015
- A Class XII boy was arrested for posting a comment on FB which was found to be provocative by UP Cabinet Minister Azam Khan.
- He was booked under the Section 66A of the Information Technology (IT) Act.
- A formal police complaint was lodged by the minister's PRO Fasahat Ali Khan Shanu.
IIT-Madras student group banned for criticizing Modi
30 May 2015
- A discussion forum for students was banned for spreading "hatred" against PM Modi by enticing SC/ST students.
- The group was allegedly encouraging the students to question policies such as cow slaughter ban and the use of Hindi.
- An anonymous complaint was received by the HRD Ministry, which led to an inquiry into the matter.
Supreme Court strikes down Section 66A of IT Act which allowed arrests for objectionable content online - The Times of India
Two girls arrested for Facebook post questioning 'Bal Thackeray shutdown' of Mumbai, get bail - Indian Express
Youth arrested for making anti-Mamata Banerjee remark on Facebook | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis