Students strike over Chauhan's appointment as FTII president
13 Jun 2015
- Information & Broadcasting Ministry's decision to appoint BJP member and actor Gajendra Chauhan as FTII president and chairman of its governing council created a stir amongst students.
- The students contended that Chauhan's affiliation with BJP was the reason behind his appointment.
- About 150 students of FTII went on a flash strike and threatened to boycott classes till their demands were met.
Who is Gajendra Chauhan?
Gajendra Chauhan is an actor best known as Yudhishthira in the hugely popular Mahabharata TV series, other than that he has acted in daily soaps and 'B' grade movies. He is a BJP member.
Students against political elements of FTII panel
14 Jun 2015
- The students want a reconstitution of FTII panel, which currently consists of four RSS propagandists out of the eight.
- These include Anagha Ghaisas (Prime Minister Narendra Modi's documentaries have been made by him); Narendra Pathak, a former president of the Maharashtra ABVP; Pranjlal Saikia and Rahul Solapurkar.
- The students want a more autonomous and politically unbiased panel.
I&B Ministry to talk to FTII students
17 Jun 2015
- Information and Broadcasting Ministry offered to talk to Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) students who were protesting against the appointment of Gajendra Chauhan as the new President of the institute.
- The protests till then had gone on for 5 days.
- Students of Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute, Kolkata (SRFTI) and AISA activists had also joined the protest.
Chauhan in no mood to resign
10 Jul 2015
- FTII chairman Gajendra Chauhan confirmed his unwillingness to step down from his post in the wake of protests at the institute.
- The former television actor said that he had been appointed looking at his experience and he was qualified enough.
- Gajendra Chauhan also rejected any BJP nepotism at play in his appointment.
- He chose not to comment on senior actors asking him to resign.
FTII strike enters second month
12 Jul 2015
- As the FTII strike entered its second month, the demands to sack Gajendra Chauhan as chairman grew louder.
- Filmmakers Aziz Mirza and Kundan Shah also demanded that he step down. Shah called the decision to appoint Chauhan as an 'absurd' one.
- Raj Babbar, the actor and Congress party member sought explanation from Arun Jaitley on the grounds of Chauhan's appointment.
FTII asks students to finish assignments; leave
8 Aug 2015
- FTII administration has set a 6 day deadline for the 2008 batch students pursuing their diploma to wrap up their pending films and submit their projects for final assessment.
- FTII director Prashant Pathrabe said the students will be given their diplomas and asked to leave the campus.
- The students contended that this was a "witch-hunt and vindictive action" against students protesting Chauhan's "unjust" appointments.
5 FTII students arrested in midnight crackdown
19 Aug 2015
- Pune police arrested students of the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) for allegedly confining institute director Prashant Pathrabe to his office.
- They are also charged for allegedly manhandling and threatening him.
- The police had arrest warrant of 15 students but could manage to arrest only 5.
- The students have been charged with 7 different offences.
3 member team to report on FTII situation
19 Aug 2015
- Information and Broadcasting Ministry appointed a 3 member team which will assess the ground situation in the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) in Pune.
- The team will be headed by the Registrar of Newspapers in India, S M Khan.
- Khan and 2 other officials will visit FTII and give its report on the situation there.
As FTTI strike enters 2nd month, chorus against Gajendra Chauhan’s appointment grows louder | The Indian Express
Gajendra Chauhan says he has enough practical experience to be FTII chief : North, News - India Today
FTII strike: I&B Ministry offers to hold discussions with students over Gajendra Chauhan row | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis
PC: 'Gajendra Chauhan at the Dadasaheb Phalke Academy Awards 2010' by http://www.bollywoodhungama.com. Licensed under CC BY 3.0 via Commons