The RSS BJP association
- RSS- Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh states its ideal as, carrying "the nation to pinnacle of glory" and "ensuring protection of Hindu Dharma".
- Organisations which are inspired by the RSS's ideology refer themselves as members of the Sangh Parivar.
- RSS has been the ideological mentor of BJP. Many of the BJP's top brass including Narendra Modi and Amit Shah were RSS pracharaks in the past.
Top BJP ministers in attendance at RSS meet
3 Sep 2015
- Union ministers and BJP leaders were in attendance on the day 1 of the 3-day meeting of RSS and its affiliates.
- Presided over by RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat, it was part of Parivar outfits' bi-annual coordination meetings.
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar, Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari were among those who attended it besides BJP president Shah.
Modi, Shivraj Singh Chouhan miss the opening day
PM Modi who was not present on the day 1, is expected to attend it on the third and final day of the big meet. Madhya Pradesh CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan also could not attend the meeting on the first day.
Issues up for discussion during the meet
3 Sep 2015
- The coordination meeting planned to deliberate on various national issues ranging from social, economic, cultural and education issues.
- Land Bill, Patel reservation agitation in Gujarat, labour reforms and recent census figures are some of them.
- The opening day was spent discussing economic issues. RSS expressed concerns that GDP growth had fallen to 7% in the first quarter. It urged the center to address inflation.
Ram Madhav: Meet is not a review
3 Sep 2015
- BJP General Secretary Ram Madhav, who has been deputed by the RSS to the party said, "The meeting is about how we should move ahead into the future. It's not about any review of the government or any policy and programmes."
- He also said that there was no discussion on the OROP issue adding that its implementation was a government matter.
BJP faces criticism from opposition over RSS meet
3 Sep 2015
- The BJP- RSS meet faced criticism from various opposition parties.
- AAP questioned the meet and called it a 'mockery' of the constitution. AAP leader Ashutosh said that it was indicative of RSS "interference" in the political process.
- Former J&K CM Omar Abdullah tweeted asking how could RSS be called a 'social organization', while it does a 3-day performance appraisal of Modi government.
Sarkar, Parivar exchange notes: On Day 1, Ministers join meetings with BJP, Sangh and its affiliate organisations | The Indian Express
Internal security, religion-based census, quota stir on agenda for Day 2 of BJP-RSS brainstorming meet - IBNLive
PC: 'Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh drill' by Ganesh Dhamodkar. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Commons
PC: 'RSS Chief Mohan Rao Bhagwat in Jammu. Pix by Vishal Dutta 1' by vishal dutta photo's - Flickr: RSS Chief Mohan Rao Bhagwat in Jammu. Pix by Vishal Dutta 1. Licensed under CC BY 2.0 via Wikimedia Commons