Gen. Singh hints at short, swift wars with Pakistan
1 Sep 2015
- Army chief General Dalbir Singh Suhag said at a seminar organised by the three armed forces that India should be prepared for 'short' and 'swift' wars with Pakistan.
- He said that violence in Jammu and Kashmir spread had intensified and thus such wars could become a possibility if Pakistan did not stop.
- He called for preparedness and an inherent change in strategy.
Pakistan dismisses Singh's comments as 'rhetoric'
2 Sep 2015
- A senior Pakistan foreign ministry official dismissed Indian army chief Gen Dalbir Singh's comments and said there was no possibility of a "limited war" between India and Pakistan.
- He further called the Indian chief's comments as 'mere rhetoric'.
- A similar statement was made by Defence Minister Khawaja Asif a week before ruling out 'limited war' possibility and said Pakistan was capable of defending itself.
Pakistan general calls Kashmir 'unfinished agenda'
7 Sep 2015
- Pakistan army chief General Raheel Sharif called Kashmir an "unfinished agenda" and warned India of the 'unbearable cost' in case of a war with Pakistan.
- Even though he did not directly name anyone, it was apparent that the comments were made in reply to General Dalbir Singh Suhag's comments.
- He said Pakistan was prepared for 'hot start' or 'cold start' war.
Indian rival parties unite to condemn Pakistani General
8 Sep 2015
- BJP secretary Shrikant Sharma called Pakistani general's statements as 'empty boast', 'daydream' and naive compliance with neighboring countries.
- Congress spokesperson Abhishek Singhvi also termed General Sharif's comments as 'belligerent and irrational'.
- He further said that "The only unfinished agenda before the world was to ensure that Pakistan ceases to be a safe harbor for global terrorists."
Ex Army chief and union minister lashes out
"Koi faltu mein chilla raha hai to chillane do (If someone is shouting uselessly then let them). When India has to respond, it is fully capable and prepared," General V.K Singh said
India says only issue is to retrieve PoK
8 Sep 2015
- Minister of State in PMO Jitendra Singh retaliated to Pakistan Army Chief Gen Raheel Sharif's comments that Kashmir is an "unfinished agenda" by saying that the "only issue with Pakistan is to get back parts of Jammu and Kashmir under its illegal occupation".
- Singh reiterated that Jammu and Kashmir 'was and will remain' a fundamental part of India.
PC: 'Army-Chief-General-Raheel-Sharif' by Sherry901 - Own work. Licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0 via Commons