What is Oculus VR ?
- Oculus VR was founded by Palmer Luckey in 2012.
- Oculus is the maker of virtual reality 3D goggles called Oculus Rift. The Rift lets its users immerse into a 3D digital world with high resolution images.
- The motion sensors in the headset track the person's head movements and shift the view on the screen accordingly. This thus creates an illusion of another world.
Oculus offers development kits
3 Aug 2012
- The creators of the Oculus Rift claim that it could change the future of videogames.
- Compared to other VR headsets, Rift offers extensive visuals with a wider field view of 110 degrees. For example, Sony's HMZ-T1 headset offers only a 45 degree view.
- The firm which was initially funded through a Kickstarter campaign, started offering Rift development kits for $300 to its Kickstarter backers.
Facebook acquires Oculus Virtual Reality
26 Mar 2014
- Facebook announced the it was acquiring Oculus VR for $2 billion. Zuckerberg announced the deal on his Facebook page.
- According to him, Facebook would "focus on helping Oculus build out their product and develop partnerships to support more games."
- Oculus would continue operating independently within Facebook.
- Zuckerberg said Facebook intended to go beyond games and wanted the 3D experience for other activities as well.
Facebook unveils Oculus Rift
11 Jun 2015
- The virtual Reality headset Oculus Rift, was officially unveiled by Facebook at a launch event in San Francisco.
- It has a built-in strap and headphones to create a 3D audio effect.
- Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe said that the device will go on sale early next year.
- Along with the all the PC hardware needed for the headset, it is said to cost under $1500.
Oculus Rift’s competition
Oculus Rift is not the only VR hardware. Sony’s project Morpheus and HTC’s Vive are close to consumer release and plan to take their own share of virtual space.
Oculus Rift will ship with a Xbox-one controller
13 Jun 2015
- Microsoft will partner with Oculus to supply a Xbox-One controller with every Virtual Reality (VR) Rift headset.
- Xbox chief Phil Spencer revealed the partnership and said, "We believe we'll be able to create state of the art virtual reality experiences with the Oculus Rift on top of Windows,"
- Oculus Rift will work on Windows 10 and will allow Xbox One games to be streamed.
Zuckerberg turns down VR allegations
18 Jan 2017
- Facebook is currently being sued for $2 billion by Zenimax, the owner of id Software.
- According to allegations, John Carmack (co-founder of id) stole Zenimax's intellectual property while leaving the firm to join Oculus, which is now under Facebook.
- Founder and CEO of Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg said, "The idea that Oculus products based on someone else's technology is just wrong."