What is a smartwatch?
A smartwatch is a computerized wristwatch which can perform tasks such as gameplaying, running mobile apps etc. Some smartwatches feature full mobile phone capability, and can make or answer phone calls.
Samsung launches Galaxy Gear smartwatch
25 Sep 2013
- Samsung Electronics had launched its first smartwatch as an Android based device.
- Later in May 2014, in a software update, Samsung replaced the operation system with Tizan OS.
- Lee Young-hee, vice president of Samsung's mobile business said that it would enhance and enrich the current smart mobile experience in many ways.
- He said that it would lead a new trend in smart mobile communications.
Apple launches smart watch in four variants
24 Apr 2015
- Apple launched its smartwatch called Apple Watch with an aim to free people from their phones.
- It was available in four variants: Apple Watch Sport, Apple Watch, Apple Watch Hermès, and Apple Watch Edition.
- It works by connecting the watch to the phone through Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.
- People can access all apps on the watch which are already downloaded on the phone.
Tag Heuer launches £1,100 smartwatch
9 Nov 2015
- Swiss watchmaker Tag Heuer launched its first smartwatch called the Connected.
- It had an intel processor, ran on Android OS and costed £1,100. The watch was Wi-fi and Bluetooth enabled, but GPS was missing from it.
- Tag's CEO Jean-Claude Biver said that Connected was a milestone for their brand and the Swiss Watch Industry.
- He said it would be sold with a black-rubber strap.
Xiaomi may launch Android smartwatch
22 Nov 2015
- Chinese smartphone company Xiaomi may launch its first-ever smart watch on November 24.
- According to external sources, internal hardware of the Xiaomi Mi smartwatch was expected to run on Google's Android Wear OS.
- According to news website FirstPost, the smartwatch could cost upto $96.
- Besides the watch, the company was also expected to launch Redmi Note 2 Pro and Mi Pad 2.
Titan-HP to launch smart watch
23 Nov 2015
- Watch-maker Titan and IT major HP have joined hands to launch a range of smart watches.
- Titan in a statement said that the new relationship between the two combine innovative materials, design and custom technology to deliver products that are responsive, and not intrusive.
- Titan CEO Ravikant said that their category of smartwatches would change the way people view the art of timekeeping.