Dravid to coach the India A, U-19 teams
On 6 June, 2015 former Indian captain Rahul Dravid took the responsibility of coaching the India-A and U-19 cricket teams.
2016 U-19 World Cup
- The 2016 edition of the ICC U19 Cricket World Cup, will be held in Bangladesh from 27 January to 14 February.
- It will be the eleventh edition of the Under-19 Cricket World Cup, and the second to be held in Bangladesh, after the 2004 event.
- The tournament will feature the nine Full Members, alongside seven of the leading Associate and Affiliate teams.
India drawn in Group D
- For the group stage matches, 16 teams were drawn under four groups A-D.
- Group A has defending champions South Africa, Bangladesh, Scotland and Namibia.
- Group B includes two-time winner Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan and Canada.
- Group C comprises 1998 champions England along with the West Indies, Zimbabwe and Fiji.
- India were drawn in Group D alongside Australia, New Zealand and Nepal.
Indian Under-19 cricket team
The Indian U-19 team has won three Under-19 World Cups. In 2000, under the captaincy of Mohammad Kaif, in 2008 under Virat Kohli's leadership and in 2012 under the captaincy of Unmukt Chand.
India U-19 squad for World Cup announced
- Indian Under-19 squad to play in the ICC Under-19 World Cup 2016 was announced by the selection committee in Mumbai.
- Jharkhand's wicket keeper-batsman Ishan Kishan, will lead India's 15-man squad.
- Another left-hand wicket keeper-batsman Rishabh Pant, was named vice-captain.
- The squad includes six batsmen apart from Kishan and Pant. Among the seven bowlers, India named four pacers and three spinners.
Australia withdraws from U-19 World Cup
On 5 Jan 2016, Australia pulled out of the Under-19 World Cup due to security concerns. ICC invited Ireland to replace Australia in the tournament.
Experienced players part of the current squad
- India begin their campaign against Ireland on 28 January at the Sher-e-Bangla national stadium in Mirpur.
- Players in the current squad like Sarfraz Khan, Ricky Bhui and Avesh Khan have played in the previous World Cup and also at the first-class level.
- U-19 coach Dravid said that it was always helpful to have people with certain amount of first-class experience.
India's Under-19 team ready for the World Cup
- The Indian Under-19 cricket team was all set for the upcoming World Cup in Bangladesh.
- Addressing the media ahead of their departure, India U-19 coach Rahul Dravid urged his players to take this as an opportunity to learn and grow as cricketers.
- Dravid said that his biggest challenge was to select the best 15 out of the 'incredibly talented' pool of players.
India and West Indies reach U19 WC final
- India (267 for 9) entered the Under-19 World Cup Finals with a convincing 97-run win against Sri Lanka, with India's Anmolpreet Singh declared as man-of-the-match.
- On 11 February 2016, West Indies (230 for 7) beat Bangladesh (226) by three wickets, to enter the finals against India.
- Hosts Bangladesh scored a three-wicket over Sri Lanka (214) to claim the third place in the tournament.
Cricket: West Indies beat India, win Under-19 World Cup
- West Indies bagged their first ever Under-19 World Cup, beating India by five wickets in Mirpur, Bangladesh.
- India was bowled out for 145, a target that outstanding performances by West Indies' Keemo Paul and Keacy Carty helped cross with just 3 balls to spare.
- India lost its first youth ODI since the Under-19 World Cup Quarterfinals in 2014.