Will the ‘Fight of the Century’ ever happen?
25 Nov 2010
- Manny Pacquiao defeated 'golden boy' Oscar De La Hoya in 2008 to establish himself as one of the best fighters in welterweight division.
- Rumours about a Floyd Mayweather and Pacquiao fight were strong with the experts expecting a showdown in 2011.
- The talks broke down previously since Mayweather wanted a 60/40 revenue-split.
- Duo's reputation and peoples expectations have made it 'Fight of the Century'.
Not just a boxer!
Apart from being a professional boxer, Manny Pacquiao is an elected member of the Philippine House of Representatives, an actor, a singer and a television host.
Mayweather and Pacquiao meet in Miami
4 Feb 2015
- The two boxers met during a NBA match in Miami.
- The two were seen talking and exchanging numbers to discuss the terms of their fight personally.
- Experts termed their possible match as 'the most lucrative' and awaited match in boxing history.
- Pacquiao's contract with HBO/Time Warner and Mayweather's contract with CBS/Showtime may be causing a delay in the fight.
Date confirmed-‘Fight of the Century’ on May 2
20 Feb 2015
- The dates for the 'Fight of the Century' were confirmed close to 5 years after the first discussions were held between the two boxers.
- Both the stars confirmed the news of their fight to be held on May 2 at Las Vegas.
- The match will be at welterweight limit of 147 pounds.
- WBO, WBC and WBA titles will be on line in the fight.
Pay per view cost in US goes up to $100
3 Apr 2015
- US viewers would have to pay $100 to watch the super fight, making it the most expensive pay per view boxing match in the history.
- The telecast rights of the fight in US are with HBO and Showtime.
- The previous most expensive fight was between Mayweather and Canelo Alvarez in 2013 whose pay per view rate for US viewers was $64.95.
Tickets sell out in 1 minute
23 Apr 2015
- Tickets of the fight between Mayweather and Pacquiao were sold out within 60 seconds of being available. The website crashed moments before the ticket launch due to heavy traffic.
- Of the 16,800 total seats at the venue, 1,000 were made available to the fans. Remaining tickets are with the promoters, sponsors and the casinos.
- Tickets ranged from £1,000 to £5,000 per seat.
Mayweather beats Pacquiao in ‘Fight of the century’
3 May 2015
- Floyd Mayweather extended his unbeaten streak to 48 matches by beating Pacquiao in the "Fight of Century'.
- The fight was held at Las Vegas' MGM Grand Arena with a crowd capacity of 16,800.
- Three judges unanimously declared Mayweather as winner on points.
- At £350 million, it was pegged as 'the richest' fight in boxing history. Mayweather got close to $180 million for his victory.
Mayweather stripped of the welterweight World Title!
7 Jul 2015
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. won't be given the welterweight title that he had won after beating Filipino Manny Pacquiao earlier this year as he failed to comply with the rules.
- Mayweather missed a deadline by which he had to pay a sanctioning fee of $200,000 from the fight.
- He also failed to return the junior middlewight title which he previously held.
Mayweather vs Pacquiao Fight News 2015: Date For Bout Closer To Being Confirmed, Boxers Meet In Miami | The Christian Times
Floyd Mayweather Jr beats Manny Pacquiao on points in boxing's richest fight | Boxing | Sport | Daily Express
They're finally ready to rumble: Mayweather to fight Pacquiao on May 2 in Las Vegas - The Orange County Register
PC: 'Floyd Mayweather, Jr. 2011' by Chamber of Fear - Flickr: Mayweather/Ortiz. Licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0 via Wikimedia Commons