Bad patch of Pakistan cricket continues
The year 2016 was filled with lots and ups and downs for the Pakistani cricket team. Will that reflect on their participation at 2019 ICC World Cup? Let us have a look at how our neighbours performed last year and how will that affect them.
Pakistan team's performance in 2016
- Pakistan cricket team started 2016 with a 2-0 loss against New Zealand in the three-match ODI series.
- After defeating Ireland in an ODI series in August, Pakistan went on to lose a five match series against England 4-1.
- They white-washed West Indies in a three match series to end the year with a high in the limited overs cricket.
Rise and fall - all in a year
- Pakistan started their test-season in July when they toured England to play four test matches. The series ended with each team winning two matches. Pakistan team put some amazing performances in the series.
- After defeating West Indies in three match series, Pakistan claimed number one spot in the ICC Test rankings for the first time. But the joy lasted only for a few weeks.
Two back-to-back series loss
The Pakistani team was white washed in two back to back test series. In November, New Zealand defeated Pakistan in two match series, while in December 2016 - January 2017, Australia crushed the Asian team 3-0.
Pakistan in danger of not directly qualifying for 2019 WC
- At eighth position in ICC rankings, Pakistan cricket team is in danger of not qualifying for the 2019 ICC World Cup in United Kingdom.
- Pakistan has set its sight on the direct qualification in 2019 World Cup ahead of its series against Australia, which starts on 13 January.
- They need to win atleast one match of the series to maintain their pre-series ranking points.
Who qualifies for the 2019 World Cup?
Apart from the hosts England, the top seven teams on the ICC ODI Team rankings as on 30 September 2017 will directly qualify for the 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup which would take place from 30 May to 15 July 2019.