What is a transfer?
- In professional football, players are signed under contract by clubs.
- Transfers take place when players under contract move between two clubs, usually for monetary compensation to the selling club from the buying club.
- Transfers generally take place during a "transfer window".
- In modern football, there is a pre-season transfer window (1 July- 1 September), and a mid-season transfer window (1- 31 January).
A brief idea of how transfers work
- When one club is interested in a player of another club, a written offer is made, and the selling club may accept or reject the bid.
- Once a bid has been accepted, the player's agent negotiates personal terms on the player's behalf with the buying club.
- If negotiations are successful, then requisite documents are filed with relevant authorities to register and approve the transfer.
Who keeps the transfer fees?
- When a player gets transferred from one club to another for a certain sum of money, the money is transferred between the clubs only.
- However, a player (or his agent) can negotiate a "signing on" fee under his new contract, which is a one-time bonus, on top of the his weekly/annual salary.
- Other bonuses like loyalty bonus, appearance bonus etc. can be negotiated too.
Biggest signings of the 2015-2016 transfer window
- The biggest deals this season so far have been De Bruyne: Wolfsburg to Manchester City: €76million; Sterling: Liverpool to Manchester City: €69.4million and Di Maria: Manchester United to PSG: €63million.
- The other big deals are Benteke: Aston Villa to Liverpool: €46.5million; Otamendi: Valencia to Manchester City: €45million; Firmino: Hoffenheim to Liverpool: €41million; Kandogbia: Monaco to Inter: €40million and Vidal: Juventus to Bayern Munich: €37million.
2015-2016 summer transfer window in numbers
The highest spending European league has generally been the Barclays Premier League, and by quite a big margin. As of 31 August 2015, with still one day to go in the transfer window, the approximate Barclays Premier League 2015-2016 summer transfer spending stands at a mindblowing €965,825,000.
Some other high-profile transfers
- The 2015-2016 summer transfer window saw some other big names change clubs too.
- Among them, was World Cup winner Bastian Schweinsteiger (€20.25million), and Netherlands winger Memphis Depay (€34million) both of whom moved to Manchester United from Bayern Munich and PSV respectively.
- Pedro (€27million) joined Chelsea from Barcelona, as did Falcao, on loan from Monaco.
- Barcelona picked up Atletico star Arda Turan for €35million.
Football clubs transfer deadline day fast approaching
- With just one day left in the transfer window, football clubs are looking to wrap up their summer spending.
- Yet, the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, Real Madrid, Tottenham among some others are still looking to strengthen their squads.
- Chelsea are still keen on signing John Stones and Paul Pogba, while Madrid have their sights set on De Gea, and Arsenal is hopeful about Cavani.