Who is Yogeshwar Dutt?
- Yogeshwar Dutt is an Indian wrestler known as Yogi among his followers.
- He was born on 2 November 1982 in a Gaur Brahmin family in Haryana.
- He started wrestling at the age of 8 years and was trained under coach Ralph.
- He was awarded with Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award in 2012 and the Padma Shri in the year 2013.
Dutt wins bronze for India at London Olympics
11 Aug 2012
- Yogeshwar Dutt won the bronze medal in the 60kg freestyle category by defeating Ri Jong Myong of North Korea at the London Olympics.
- He said he had dedicated 21 years to the sport and it was the biggest day of his life.
- He became the third Indian to win an Olympic medal in wrestling after K D Jadhav (1952) and Sushil Kumar (2008).
Dutt bags gold in Commonwealth Games
31 Jul 2014
- Yogeshwar Dutt won the gold medal at the Commonwealth Games 2014 held in Glasgow, Scotland.
- He was competing in the men's freestyle 65kg category against Jevon Balfour of Canada.
- Yogeshwar was declared the winner on grounds of technical superiority after he took a 10-0 lead within 1.53 minutes of the first round.
- It was the fourth gold medal in wrestling for India in 2014.
Gold at the Asian Games
29 Sep 2014
- Ending India's 28 year drought for gold in Asian Games wrestling, Dutt defeated Zalimkhan Yusupov of Tajikistan in men's 65kg freestyle in the 17th Asian Games.
- He defeated Zalimkhan by 3-0 in the second round.
- India's last wrestling gold in Asian games was won by Kartar Singh in 1986.
- He dedicated his gold medal to his father saying he owed it to him.
Staying injury free would be a challenge: Dutt
25 Aug 2015
- Dutt said that he was very injury-prone and recently sustained a knee injury.
- He had a lot of operations in the past and his concern was to stay fit and injury free for Rio Olympics.
- He said that he was confident that an early qualification in Rio Olympics would give him enough time to work on increasing his stamina.
Rio will be my last Olympics: Yogeshwar Dutt
28 Oct 2015
- Indian wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt has said that Rio would be his last Olympics and he wanted to end it with a gold medal.
- However, he made it clear that if his body permits, he would take part in Asian and Commonwealth Games.
- He said he was planning to go to either USA or Russia to train himself for the Olympic qualifiers in March 2016.
Yogeshwar Dutt has won 3 gold and 2 silver medals for India at Commonwealth Wrestling Championship, 2 gold at Commonwealth Games, 1 gold at Asian Wrestling Championship, 1 gold and 1 bronze at Asian Games and 1 bronze at the Olympic Games.
London Olympics: Yogeshwar Dutt wins bronze medal in 60kg freestyle : Latest News - London Olympics 2012, News - India Today
PC: 'Asian Games logo' by Olympic Council of Asia - Official website of Olympic Council of Asia. Licensed under Public Domain via Commons