Guzman's notorious ways of escape
El Chapo is known for his genius escapes; the first one being from the notorious Puente Grande in 2001 till his last tunnel get-away through his jail cell’s shower in July 2015. Guzman has now been kept in a high-security cell so that he doesn't plan another escape.
Rolling Stone magazine publishes Sean Penn-Guzman interview
- The Rolling Stone published an exclusive interview of drug lord Guzman, interviewed by actor Sean Penn.
- Questions were raised on Penn's ability to reach the drug lord and also, at the compromises made to provide pre-approval rights to the gangster.
- This interview which took place in October 2015 could be etched as a milestone for the magazine either as its best or worst feat.
Hollywood actor meets Mexico's most wanted
- Sean Penn secretively met El-Chapo in Guadalajara, a Mexican jungle, through a Mexican actress by the name of Kate del Castillo.
- The meeting was in the context of an interview which was to be published for Rolling Stone.
- Penn was flown in a radar-proof aircraft but the local authorities used burner phones to track the criminal which led to the arrest.
Castillo's connection with the druglord
Kate Del Castillo, famous for her tough roles and social activism, has shown an open admiration for drug kingpins. Reportedly, Guzman's representatives approached Castillo to ban the release of his biopic.
US unhappy with Sean's involvement
- Scores of people on Twitter called for Sean Penn to be arrested for meeting the world's most wanted drug lord and not turning him into the authorities.
- White House too was upset with Sean Penn's journalistic venture and called the meeting 'grotesque'.
- An investigation against him has been opened to ascertain if he knew more about Guzman's whereabouts than he has mentioned.
Sean Penn's defense to his journalistic venture
- Sean Penn released a piece justifying his move to interview Guzman, saying: "I have nothing to hide".
- Further, Penn wrote: "My only interest...was to ask questions and deliver his responses, to be weighed by readers, whether in balance or contempt."
- His justification came after people began questioning his role and considered the journalism ethics being violated by the Rolling Stones interview.
Penn-Guzman interview intrinsic to druglord's arrest
- Mexican authorities revealed that Sean Penn's secretive interview with the Mexican drug kingpin Guzman led to the drug lord's capture.
- Mexican officials contended that contacts between Penn, Guzman's lawyers and actress Kate del Castillo helped them trace the fugitive.
- The process of extradition of Guzman to US has begun and sources believe that it may take as long as 5 years.