Who is Yoshitha Rajapaksa?
- Yoshitha Rajapaksa is the second son of former Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
- He was a lieutenant in the Sri Lankan navy until a Parliamentary Committee revealed in Jan'16 that he lacked the qualifications needed for enrollment in the navy.
- He was also the former captain of the Sri Lankan national rugby team and the Navy SC rugby team.
Why was he arrested?
- Lieutenant Yoshitha was allegedly an active participant in CSN, a firm in which the Rajapaksas are suspected to have a major financial interest.
- CSN was controversially handed over Sri Lankan cricket's television broadcast rights under the Rajapaksa regime.
- The broadcast rights had been the preserve of the state television until then.
- Yoshitha and four other executives of CSN were arrested over these allegations.
Rajapaksa alleges political conspiracy
"Today they (the government) have used that act which we brought to deal with terrorists to put the son of the person who eradicated terrorism behind bars." - Mahinda Rajapaksa.
Crackdown on Rajapaksa family
- The Rajapaksa family has faced many accusations of corruption and abuse of power since President Sirisena ended the former strongman's 10-year rule.
- Basil Rajapaksa, the former Economic Development Minister was arrested in April 2015 over charges of corruption.
- Rajapaksa's brother Gotabaya, his wife Shiranthi and eldest son Namal are also under investigation for alleged abuses of power during Rajapaksa's reign.
Allegations of murder
In May 2012, Sri Lankan rugby player Wasim Thajudeen was killed in a car crash. After the defeat of President Mahinda Rajapaksa on 8 January, 2015, Sri Lankan authorities began investigating it as a murder, suspecting Yoshitha Rajapakse of killing him over a love affair.
Rajapaksa's son arrested for financial fraud
- The son of former Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa has been arrested by Sri Lanka's Financial Crime Investigation Department over alleged financial irregularities.
- A lieutenant in the Sri Lankan Navy, Yoshitha Rajapaksa was arrested after a day-long interrogation by officials at Sri Lanka's Naval Headquarters in Colombo.
- Several executives of the Carlton Sports Network were arrested as well.
Yoshitha Rajapaksa dismissed from SL Navy
- The Sri Lanka Navy has suspended former Lt. Yoshitha Rajapaksa, the second son of former President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
- Yoshitha Rajapaksa is currently in police custody for financial irregularities, corruption and money laundering charges.
- Sri Lanka's Financial Crimes Investigation Division (FCID) requested the Ministry of Defence to take action against Yoshita "in order to keep the ongoing FCID investigations independent."