PM's trip to Ireland & US
- PM Modi is going to visit Ireland and the US from 23-29 September, during which he will address the UN General Assembly.
- He will be the first Indian PM to visit Ireland after Nehru in 1956.
- Modi will be in San Francisco to attend a United Nations summit on sustainable development on September 25.
- On 27 September, he will visit Silicon Valley, California.
What is the UN summit ?
- The UN Summit for the adoption of new sustainable development agenda will be held from September 25 to 27, in New York.
- It will be convened as a high-level plenary meeting of the General Assembly.
- 193 world leaders will commit to 17 goals to achieve 3 extraordinary things in the next 15 years- end extreme poverty, fight inequality & injustice and fix climate change.
Post-2015 sustainable development goals
The Millennium Development Goals that were launched in 2000, set 2015 as the target year. The new sustainable development goals post-2015 were a result of the recommendations by the Open Working Group set up by the UN. Consensus on these goals was reached in early August 2015.
Grand reception for Modi planned by Indian diaspora
- The Indian community in the US is planning to host a mega reception for Narendra Modi.
- About 500 Indian-American organisations have joined hands to host a grand reception for the PM in San Jose's SAP Centre arena, Silicon Valley, on September 27 according to the Indo-American Community of West Coast (IACW).
- The event is expected to be attended by around 18,000 diaspora.
Richard Verma talks of Modi's visit
- Speaking at the 11th Indo-US Economic Summit, US Ambassador to India, Richard Verma said that Modi's visit will provide an opportunity to explore new technology that can help India in development of smart cities and other infrastructure facilities.
- He said that there was quite a buzz around PM's visit to Silicon Valley.
- Verma added that American businesses are very eager to partner with India.
Modi to join Zuckerberg for Townhall Q&A
Modi will visit Facebook HQ in California where he will hold a town hall interaction with its CEO Mark Zuckerberg. Zuckerberg announced this through a Facebook post to which the PM responded by taking to Facebook to thank him for the invite.
Modi to meet Tim Cook during US visit
- During his upcoming visit to the US, PM Narendra Modi is scheduled to meet CEO of Apple, Tim Cook in San Francisco.
- It is believed that Apple is considering to invest in building manufacturing capacities in India, which could be a huge boost for Modi's 'Make in India' project.
- Modi is also set to meet Elon Musk of Tesla and Sundar Pichai of Google.