Fr. Tom Uzhunnalil safe: Sushma
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj assured the Catholic Bishops Council of India delegation that Fr. Tom Uzhunnalil, abducted by militants from Yemen is safe. Swaraj assured them that the government is adopting all possible means for the quick and safe release of Fr. Tom. The CBCI in a statement said that they were "happy and relieved to hear this good news about Father Tom.''
The primary fight in Yemen is between troops faithful to the beleaguered President, Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi, and those associated with Zaidi Shia radicals known as Houthis, who drove Mr Hadi to leave the capital Sanaa in February 2015. President Hadi, who is acknowledged as Yemen's rightful head by the global community, managed to flee to Aden, which he announced as Yemen's de facto capital.
A suicide bomber blew himself up outside the house of the security commander of the Yemeni region of Lahej killing himself and injuring the official and six other people. It was the latest in a string of assaults in the southern port city of Aden. Yemeni officials blamed former President Ali Abdullah Saleh for aiding the Houthis for carrying out such attacks in Aden.
Security officials said that a blast rocked the city of Aden in Yemen. Sources said that four people were killed and five others were wounded in the explosion. The attack came a few hours after a pro-Hadi preacher was murdered in a gun attack in Aden. Though no one claimed responsibility, the al-Qaeda branch in Yemen is being held responsible for the attack.
More than 8,300 people have died since the Saudis began their assaults on Yemen in March 2015 in order to return Hadi to power.
Alarmed at the rising number of attacks on hospitals, 5 non-permanent members in the UN Security Council in the hope to "re-states respect for medical workers" have decided to pass a resolution to halt these attacks and punish the perpetrators. The United Nations has shown concern over the "targeting of medical workers and hospitals in conflict zones, in particular in Syria, Yemen and Afghanistan."
An elderly home was attacked in Yemen's Aden's Sheikh Othman district when 4 gunmen opened fire killing 16 people. 1 Indian nun was amongst those dead in the home run by Missionaries of Charity. The responsibility for the attack was not taken by any group. Witnesses said that the killers had moved from room to room, handcuffed victims and shot them on the head.
Official sources stated that the gunmen who killed at least 15 people in an old people's home in Yemen, also kidnapped an Indian priest. Indian Foreign Minister Sushma Swaraj said on Twitter that an Indian national identified as Father Tom Uzhunnalil had been "abducted by terrorists in Yemen". She added that officials in Djibouti were trying to ascertain his whereabouts.
The Salesians' of Don Bosco order of Catholic priests quashed the reports that claimed that one of their priests, who had been kidnapped in Yemen would be tortured and killed. Unconfirmed reports had earlier suggested that ISIS intended to kill Father Tom Uzhunnalil by crucifying him on Good Friday. Sushma Swaraj said that the authorities were still searching for the missing priest.
External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said that the government is making efforts to secure the release of Fr Tom Uzhunalil, who was abducted by a terrorist group in Yemen She also dismissed media reports that he was in the custody of ISIS militants who intended to crucify him. She said the abduction was not related to ISIS and the rumors were based on speculation.