Ask NewsBytes
User Image

Reference to the above case: Can the mother claim expenses of daughter's marriage from estranged father ?..

Asked 2018-04-10 08:28:24 by Pawan Purohit

Answered by NewsBytes

Yes, an unmarried Hindu daughter has the legal right to claim from her father reasonable expenses for marriage. This is based on Section 20(3) of the Hindu Adoptions and Maintenance Act, 1956, as per which a father has the legal obligation to maintain his unmarried daughter, whether legitimate or illegitimate.