Google: An overview
- Google is the multi-technology company based out of USA, which was floated by two PhD students of Stanford, Larry Page and Sergey Brin in 1998.
- Google held its first Initial Public Offer (IPO) in August 2004 and is listed in NASDAQ as GOOG and GOOGL.
- Other prominent products apart from the search engine include Google Docs, Google Plus, Gmail, Google Drive and Android OS.
Who is Sundar Pichai?
- Pichai Sundararajan, known as Sundar Pichai is the Indian who is famously associated with Google.
- Sundar did his schooling in Chennai. Later, he graduated from IIT-Kharagpur and did his MS from Stanford and a MBA from Wharton School.
- Sundar's tryst with Google began in 2004 when he was in-charge of building the Google toolbar. Before stepping into Google, Sundar had worked in McKinsey.
Sundar extends to a wide business portfolio
- Sundar was instrumental in the highly acclaimed launch of Chrome Web browser in 2008.
- By 2009, Sundar also took over the web-based Chrome OS for desktop and notebooks.
- Google Apps head, Dave Girouard quit to float his own venture in 2012. Soon enough, Sundar took over Google Apps too, hence extending his already intensive business portfolio to a wider range
Praises galore for Sundar
Larry Page, the former Google CEO once commented that "Sundar has a talent for creating products that are technically excellent yet easy to use - and he loves a big bet."
Sundar Pitchai presides over Android
- Sundar took over Android, the operating software from Andy Rubin. Rubin had presided over Android since it was first rolled out in 2004.
- The then CEO, Larry Page commented that Sundar would continue to manage Google Chrome and Google Apps in addition to Android.
- Also, newer tablets from Google which functioned on Android were also planned to be launched
Sundar becomes almost the best
- Sundar Pichai was promoted to oversee all arms of Google except YouTube.
- This vertical movement made Sundar the second most powerful person in the company, just below Larry Page, the Chief Executive.
- In addition to Google Doc, Gmail, Android and Chrome, Sundar took over Google Research, Maps, Search, Google Plus and business.
- This move was made to give Page space to design future products.
Sundar joins Indians at the helm of affairs
Sundar joins the ranks of several other Indians who head elite corporations like Satya Nadella - CEO of Microsoft, Shantanu Narayen - Head of Adobe and Nikesh Arora - a former executive of Google, who now presides over Softbank.
Sundar becomes CEO of Google, subsidiary of Alphabet
- Google rolled out Alphabet Inc, a collection of companies as its parent company, with Larry Page as CEO and Sergey Brin as President.
- Google was announced as the largest owned subsidiary of Alphabet Inc and Sundar Pichai was made the new CEO.
- This restructuring was made so as to ensure that each entity of Alphabet had a strong CEO to run the business.
What is Alphabet?
Alphabet Inc is a technology holding company. It has been incorporated to narrow Google's scope and it is the parent of Google Inc, Nest Labs, Calico, Google X, Google Capital and Google Ventures.