40 pilots resign from SpiceJet
16 Nov 2014
- 40 pilots left the company in the past 6 months amidst rising speculations of the company's uncertain future.
- The auditors of the airline had expressed concerns over media baron Kalanithi Maran's ability to run the airline.
- The company had reported losses for the 5th straight quarter.
1800 SpiceJet flights cancelled
8 Dec 2014
- Fast eroding cash reserves forced the airline to cancel over 1800 domestic flights scheduled for December.
- This came at a time when the DGCA was planning to issue a show cause notice to the airline for violating advance booking regulations.
- The last five trading sessions have seen the company's shares falling by over 28%.
Maran to move out of SpiceJet
15 Jan 2015
- Kalanithi Maran planned to exit SpiceJet and give the control back to the co-founder Ajay Singh.
- Maran was to transfer his 53.5% stake in SpiceJet to Ajay Singh.
- JP Morgan and Ajay Singh were expected to invest $250 million in the company immediately.
- They also vowed to invest $200 million in the airline in the long run.
Did you know?
SpiceJet’s co-founder, Ajay Singh, is believed to have strong connections with the BJP and was the brain behind BJP’s war cry ‘ab ki baar, Modi Sarkar’.
7 new planes, Rs. 500 crore investment
29 Mar 2015
- SpiceJet had planned to lease 7 more Boeing 737s by May and get another investment of Rs. 500 crore from Ajay Singh.
- This will take the company's Boeing fleet size to 22.
- This Rs. 500 crore is a part of the Rs. 1500 crore investment that Singh will make in the company, as a part of the deal with Kalanithi Maran.
SpiceJet’s requests payment deferment from AAI
16 Apr 2015
- The company asked for a 3-year payment deferment from Airport Authority of India (AAI) to pay its dues of Rs. 211 crore.
- The airline had also requested AAI to waive off the interest on the due payment.
- The company owes the payment to AAI on account of parking, landing and other services used by the airline.
Spicejet to get Rs 300 crore boost
21 May 2015
- The low cost carrier plans to raise Rs. 300 crore as a part of recapitalization to give a boost to its finances.
- A part of this investment may be used for the company's expansion plans.
- In February, the company's promoter Ajay Singh had taken over the airline from Kalanithi Maran.
Spicejet set to airlift waiting-list passengers
9 Jun 2015
- Spicejet and GoAir have joined hands with IRCTC and will start flying waiting-list passengers, who can now board a flight by paying some extra charges.
- This scheme will apply only for tickets booked 3 days before the journey date.
- The cancellations can be made from a specific website and tickets will be available only for the day of travel or 1 day before.
SpiceJet to buy 92 Boeing 737s
08 Jan 2017
- Sources said SpiceJet is in the process of ordering 92 Boeing 737s as a part of its expansion in India.
- The acquisition will more than double SpiceJet's fleet; the deal is estimated to cost $10.2 billion.
- SpiceJet may increase the number if better discounts and maintenance agreements come forward.
- Boeing said the deal is likely to conclude this financial year.
SpiceJet to buy 205 Boeing aircraft
13 Jan 2017
- SpiceJet has announced that it will purchase up to 205 aircraft from Boeing in a deal worth $22 billion.
- SpiceJet chairman Ajay Singh said the order was for 155 Boeing 737-8 Max and 50 purchase rights for long haul planes like Dreamliner and the B-737s.
- The SpiceJet deal comes as a boost to Boeing as rival Airbus won contracts with IndiGo and GoAir.
SpiceJet requests deferment on payment, but Airports Authority of India unmoved - timesofindia-economictimes