Want to share with your friends too?

25 Nov 2017

Delhi: 17-year-old murdered on moving bus amid 40 other passengers

In a shocking incident, a 17-year-old B.Com. student was killed on a moving bus by five school students in Delhi on Friday.

Forty other passengers on the bus reportedly looked on as the boy got murdered. None of them, including the bus conductor, intervened.

The boy, who was taken to a hospital only after the police arrived, was declared brought dead by the doctors.

In context

17-year-old killed on Delhi bus over mobile phone


Boy killed in a scuffle over mobile phone theft

It happened on an orange Punjabi Bagh-Badarpur cluster bus on Thursday, reported Hindustan Times.

At around 3:30 pm, when the bus was near Ashram Chowk, 17-year-old passenger Mohammad Anas accused five school boys of stealing his phone.

It resulted in a scuffle during which one of them slit his throat. While Anas collapsed, the boys jumped off the slow-moving bus and fled.


Four of the five juvenile miscreants arrested

Based on the boys' description and electronic surveillance of Anas's stolen mobile phone, the police nabbed the four boys on Friday. However, one of them is still at large.

Students of Classes 8 to 10 in south Delhi government schools, the boys had reportedly had bunked school yesterday.

The police have also recovered Anas's stolen phone and the knife used to kill him.

Love Delhi news?

Stay updated with the latest happenings.

Notify Me

Young offenders

Juveniles involved in 2,499 crimes in Delhi in 2016

Though the Delhi government has made it mandatory for one civil defense volunteer to be present in every bus, there was none on the orange cluster bus in which Anas was murdered.

As per government data, 56 minors were involved in murder cases in Delhi between 2016-17. Police estimates claim that juveniles committed at least 2,499 crimes in the Capital in 2016 alone.


Anas lived with parents and two siblings

Anas, an undergraduate student at Faridabad's Al-Falah University, lived in Delhi's Zakir Nagar with his parents and two siblings.

His family began visiting police stations on Friday to inquire about him when he didn't return home.

At New Friends Colony police station, they were shown a photo of a boy killed on a bus the previous day. It was Anas.

Ask NewsBytes
User Image

Next Timeline