Delhi on Saturday
07 Jan 2017
- Delhi Metro is set to be the second largest metro-system after China, once the construction of Phase 4 is complete.
- Meanwhile, 'Ride time' fare was hiked by 50% by Uber in the Delhi-NCR region.
- In another news, open-defecation has been the cause of death for 50 people in Nangloi in the last 10 years.
- Tap in to know what all is happening in Delhi.
After Phase 4, Delhi Metro will be the second largest
- The Phase 4 of Delhi Metro approved by the Delhi government will start in August 2017; Phase 3 is likely to be completed in mid-2017.
- Along with the 140 kilometres added in Phase 3, the six lines under Phase 4 will open up traffic congestion in central and southern Delhi.
- After its completion, Delhi Metro will become the largest Metro system outside China.
Uber's 'ride time' fare increased by 50%
- Uber on Saturday hiked the 'ride time' of its fare base from ₹1 per minute to ₹1.5 per minute.
- This hike applies to all categories across Uber including UberGo and UberX.
- In essence, it means earlier if the time taken was one hour, the fare would be ₹60 whereas now for the same amount of time it will be ₹90.
Gurugram police to have traffic diversion plan ready
- The construction of 2 out of 3 underpasses on the Delhi-Gurugram Expressway planned at Rajiv Chowk, Signature Tower Chowk and IFFCO Chowk has started.
- To curb traffic snarls expected to arise because of the same, the Gurugram police is preparing a comprehensive traffic plan.
- Officials of the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) were also asked to deploy personnel to assist the traffic police.
Open defecation killed 50 in the last decade
- In West Delhi, slum-dwellers of Bheem Nagar are forced to defecate in the open and as many as 50 of them have died doing so.
- People who lost their lives were run over by trains while crossing to answer nature's call.
- For the 5,000-odd residents of the slum, there exists a single toilet complex with merely 30 cubicles, forcing residents to resort to open-defecation.
60% seats may be reserved in Sanskriti, CRPF school
- A special exemption to allow Sanskriti School and the CRPF Public School to continue reserving 60% of their nursery seats for children of public servants was proposed by the Delhi government.
- The proposal has been sent to Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal and also includes a suggestion to prioritize admission on the basis of how close the potential candidate lives.
80-year-old woman killed, plastic bottle stuffed in private part
- An 80-year-old woman in Sonepat was found dead lying in a pool of blood without any clothes on by her son, Jai Bhagwan.
- Post-mortem examination of her body indicated injury marks on her genitals and a bottle stuffed deep inside.
- Deputy superintendent of police, Aryan Chaudhary said that the role of a family member in the murder was being investigated.
North India hit by a cold wave
- According to the Meterological Department, the Western Himalayan region and North India has been affected by an active western disturbance.
- On Saturday morning, the minimum temperature in Delhi was 11.5 degree Celsius and visibility at Palam and Safdarjung oscillated between 700 to 800 metres.
- The city also witnessed light rain showers in the morning and light rains have been predicted for Saturday evening/late night.
Civic workers go on strike over pending pay
- More than 20,000 sanitation workers from East Delhi went on a strike for not receiving their salaries for the past two months.
- The workers are mostly fourth-grade employees and their protest threatens to turn the region into garbage-lined streets and overflowing 'dhalaos'.
- East Delhi Municipal Corporation (EDMC), ruled by the BJP, says that the uncooperative AAP government is to be blamed for the same.
Cold wave sweeps over North India, impact to be felt for next 24 hours | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis
Sanskriti, CRPF school may reserve 60% nursery seats under public servant quota | delhi | Hindustan Times
PC: 'Indian Parliament Building Delhi India (3)' by Shahnoor Habib Munmun - Own work. Licensed under CC BY 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons