Delhi in today's news
09 Jan 2017
- A former merchant navy officer stabbed his 60-year-old father, neighbour and also blew up an apartment in Delhi.
- In another news, Railway passengers will soon have access to Delhi's train passenger information system.
- And, garbage piling up in East Delhi has residents worried about spread of diseases.
- Tap in to know why Samajwadi Party candidate was held in Ghaziabad.
Man stabs father, neighbour
- On Sunday afternoon, a 38-year-old former merchant navy officer killed his 60-year-old father by stabbing him 36 times.
- He allegedly tried to attack the society watchman before doing so.
- The suspect, Rahul Matta also allegedly stabbed his female neighbour in her flat.
- On being cornered by the police, Rahul blew up the flat by turning on the LPG supply.
Railway's passenger information system to be available on smartphones
- Delhi's railway passengers will soon be able to monitor the arrival and departure time of their trains on smartphones and tablets.
- This facility is set to be made available at 5 major stations of the capital beginning March - New Delhi, Old Delhi, Anand Vihar, Sarai Rohilla and Nizamuddin.
- This will also allow passengers to access entertainment through free WiFi hotspots at these stations.
Track record of the Delhi Police
- Analyzed crime records of the last two years, 2015 and 2016 display Delhi Police's streak in solving cases.
- In the two years, the police recovered only 8.59% of stolen vehicles and solved 15% of the total reported burglary cases.
- Around 85% rape cases were solved, but only 66% of stalking, flashing women, voyeurism and molestation cases were resolved.
Piled up garbage raises fear of diseases
- The East Delhi Municipal Corporation (EMDC) workers continued to be on strike leaving the roads of East Delhi's Laxmi Nagar garbage strewn.
- Residents complained about the inconvenience and feared the spread of diseases and infections.
- Demands of the strike include pending salaries of three months of the workers; they have now raised their demands including regularization of staff and clearance of arrears.
Shallow fog leads to delay of 41 trains
- A layer of shallow fog enveloping the national capital in the morning led to the delay of 41 trains.
- Flight operations, however, remained unaffected according to the official website of Indira Gandhi International Airport.
- An official from the MeT department said that visibility at 5:30 am was recorded at 800 metres, dropping to 600 metres 3 hours later.
- Today's minimum temperature was 8.6 degrees-celsius.
Residential areas will get water ATMs before summer
- The Ghaziabad Municipal Corporation (GMC) will install water purifiers in the form of water ATMs across residential wards in 5 zones.
- According to officials, the proposal is finalized and the work will start in March post-elections.
- In June 2016, 5 mobile water ATM units were installed in public places after the inauguration of this project by member of Parliament General (retd.) VK Singh.
Samajwadi Party candidate held for violating code of conduct
- The Ghaziabad district administration booked and sent into preventive arrest Samajwadi Party's Loni assembly seat candidate Rashid Malik and his supporter on Sunday.
- An FIR was lodged against him for violating the election code of conduct (ECC).
- On Sunday afternoon Malik carried out a massive roadshow which included a motorcade, attended by hundreds of supporters.
- He did so without permission and was thus arrested.
Soon, passenger information system at Delhi's railway stations on smartphones | delhi | Hindustan Times
PC:'Flag of Samajwadi Party, a regional political party in India' By Prateekmalviya20 - Own work, CC0,
PC: 'Smog in the skies of Delhi' By wili hybridLokantha at en.wikipedia. Later version(s) were uploaded by Nikkul, Thisglad at en.wikipedia. [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], f
PC: 'View of Connaught Place at Night' By Budhesh (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons