What is Yulin festival?
- The Yulin dog meat eating festival in China is an annual festival to clebrate the June solstice. In this, thousands of dogs are stolen, beaten and publicly slaughtered and consumed.
- The dogs are dragged along the roads and then their heads are smashed with hammers, so that they are not killed and remain fresh.
- The unconscious animals are then boiled and served to customers.
Animal rights activists hoping to stop Yulin festival
10 Feb 2015
- Animal rights activists and protesters were trying their best to stop the dog eating Yulin festival in China.
- They were gathering support from everyone through Twitter by tweeting with the hashtag #StopYulin2015.
- A petition on Change.org was also floated by people pleading the Yulin governor Chen Wu to stop the festival and it had garnered about 200,000 signatures.
Eating dogs similar to eating any other animal
2 Jun 2015
- The Vegan society, in a statement said that eating dogs is similar to eating any other animal.
- They said that they were happy to see the worldwide protests but it would be better if people took other animals also in consideration which are killed every day.
- The society urged everyone to be considerate towards the feelings of other animals like pigs and chickens also.
Dog meat festival causes most cases of rabies
18 Jun 2015
- The Yulin dog meat eating festival has been found to be the largest cause of rabies in China as per the reports of Duo Duo Animal Welfare Project.
- The dogs with infections are killed by treating them with cyanide and other poisons.
- Then their canine corpses are prepared in unhygienic, bloody conditions which pass infections to other dogs as well as humans.
Bollywood and Hollywood working for #StopYulin2015
18 Jun 2015
- Many Bollywood celebrities like Alia Bhatt, Sonakshi Sinha and Anushka Sharma have tweeted their support against the Yulin dog eating festival of China.
- Alia tweeted, "Please join in. This HAS TO STOP!!!! #StopYuLin2015".
- Celebrities all around the world including Ian Somerhalder, Leona Lewis and Tom Felton are using social media platforms to condemn the barbarous festival by signing petitions and creating awareness about it.
#StopYuLin2015 gaining momentum!
The petition on Change.org currently has over 1,500,000 signatures. Duo Duo group's campaign video to create awareness about the sadistic and barbarous festival on YouTube has been viewed over 130,000 views.
Petition · President of the People's Republic of China: STOP THE YULIN DOG MEAT EATING FESTIVAL · Change.org
Chinese Yulin Dog Meat Festival: Netizens rally in defence of event that will see 10,000 cats and dogs slaughtered - Asia - World - The Independent