What is lupus?
- Lupus is a permanent disorder that can attack any part of the body like the joints, skin, blood, and kidneys
- The immune system of a person suffering from lupus gets affected and instead of warding off microorganisms and bacteria with antibodies, their systems form autoantibodies that invade healthy tissue.
- Manifestations can involve weakness, fever, weight-loss, aching joints, rash, unusual bloating and mouth ulcers.
1.5 million Americans suffering from Lupus
Roughly 1.5 million Americans have been diagnosed with lupus, and it mostly strikes women between the ages of 15 and 44.
Celebrities suffering from Lupus
- Kristen Johnston, who acted in Bride Wars was diagnosed with lupus by 17 doctors and the disease has affected her spinal cord.
- Singer Toni Braxton too suffered from lupus and said that the disease was like living with 'flu' everyday.
- U.S. National Soccer Team player Shannon Boxx was diagnosed with lupus in 2007.
- Lady Gaga tested 'borderline positive' for the autoimmune disease.
Celebrities don't shy from sharing diseases anymore
- In the hope to end the stigma attached to diseases, several celebrities have revealed them to the world.
- Avril Lavigne revealed that she had been fighting Lyme disease in 2015.
- Miley Cyrus admitted to tachycardia, a malady in which the heart rate exceeds the natural resting heart rate.
- Hugh Jackman too made his cancer brushes public. Nick Jonas was diagnosed with type-1-diabetes aged 13.
Selena Gomez opens up about lupus
- Pop singer Selena Gomez revealed to the Billboard magazine that she had been diagnosed with the autoimmune condition lupus.
- She clarified that it was due to her illness that she had to take a hiatus from spotlight.
- She further mentioned that the condition could have even led to a stroke.
- Rumours had started pouring when she had cancelled part of her tour in 2013.
Who is Selena Gomez?
Selena Gomez is a pop star who shot to fame with Disney's Wizards of Waverly Place. She has acted in movies and has released songs like "Come and get it" and "Heart wants what it wants". She was dating the pop sensation Justin Beiber.
Selena underwent chemotherapy to fight lupus
- Selena Gomez revealed that she had to undergo chemotherapy to treat her autoimmune system disorder lupus.
- Gomez was undergoing treatment in late 2013 and early 2014 after cancelling Stars Dance tour's Asian and Australian legs.
- She had later recuperated at a rehabilitation facility in Arizona; during that time she had to battle with rumours that she was being treated for drug problems.