India

Bihar: 120 children fall sick after eating school hostel food

13 Jul 2018 | By Garima Bora

Altogether 120 children fell ill due to food-poisoning at a government-run school in Bihar's Lakhisarai district.

The students at Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya, in Barahaiya area of the district, complained of nausea and stomach ache last evening after consuming dinner at the school hostel, SP Kartikeya Sharma said.

Many also vomited multiple times, following which they were rushed to a local hospital by school authorities.

In context: 120 children fall-ill consuming school hostel-food in Bihar

13 Jul 2018Bihar: 120 children fall sick after eating school hostel food

Rice and paneer curry was served for dinner

"The students were served rice and paneer curry for dinner. Soon after taking their food, they started feeling uneasy and sick. Of the 120 affected students, 70 were taken to Barahaiya-based referral hospital," Sharma explained.
Love India news?
Stay updated with the latest happenings.
Children are out of danger: Doctors

School temporarily closedChildren are out of danger: Doctors

The doctors attending the children said they were out of danger.

Sharma said 20 students, who complained of discomfort even after treatment, were admitted to Sadar hospital as a "precautionary measure".

District Magistrate Shobhendra Kumar Choudhary visited the school premises this morning and called for a probe into the incident.

He also ordered closure of the school for the next three days.