What are smart cities?
A smart city is characterized by low resource consumption, high standard of living and high adaptability to global challenges.
Rs 7,060 crore allocated for 100 smart cities
10 Jul 2014
- The government proposed the allocation of Rs 7,060 crore for the 100 smart cities project.
- To encourage the project, FDI's conditions were reduced to 20,000 square metres from 50,000, and to $5 million from $10 million, with a 3-year post completion lock-in.
- Projects which committed to using 30% of project-cost for affordable low-cost housing were to be exempted from these minimum requirements.
Ajmer, Visakhapatnam and Allahabad get US push
1 Oct 2014
- Apart from developing the 3 cities of Ajmer, Vishakhapatnam and Allahabad, US has also offered to help the civil authorities in setting up sewage and clean water facilities in 500 Indian cities.
- The announcement was made after Modi and Obama's talks in Washington.
- The smart cities have been aimed at decreasing the migration from rural areas to cities.
Investment by Qatar prince for smart cities
9 Dec 2014
- The Prince of Qatar, Hamad-Bin-Nasser A A Al-Thani, has offered to invest Rs 1 lakh crore over the next five-years.
- The Prince, along with a Delhi-based businessman, Mitesh Sharma, had registered a company in India, NRS Enterprise Pvt. Ltd., through which the investment would be made.
- The announcement was made after the two partners met Chandrababu Naidu and Akhilesh Yadav.
Smart cities project given a snub in Budget
28 Feb 2015
- PM Narendra Modi's pet project - "100 smart cities project" found no mention in the union budget speech
- The Finance Minister's speech was focussed on other initiatives - 'Make in India' and 'Digital India' (Rs 2,510 crore had been allocated especially for this project).
- Announcements regarding the smart cities project were awaited by the realty, infrastructure and IT sectors.
Smart cities project to adopt Toulouse city model
6 Apr 2015
- The Indian and French Governments were identifying the cities which France could develop as a part of the 100 smart cities project.
- Puducherry, which has French as an official language, would surely be one of the cities.
- Chandigarh, which was designed by French architect Le Corbusier, might also make it to the list.
- The project was still awaiting 'blueprint' from Urban Development Ministry.
‘100 Smart cities’ project gets Cabinet’s nod
29 Apr 2015
- The Cabinet approved Modi's ambitious 100 smart cities project aimed at making cities more livable.
- The project would receive Rs 48,000 crore over the next 5 years.
- Cities would be selected based on a 'City Challenge competition' which would test the city's ability to achieve the objectives with the financial help.
- They would receive Rs 100 crore per year for the next 5 years.
Puducherry: first in the race of smart cities
23 Jul 2015
- The Union Territory of Puducherry became the first city to submit its nomination for the centre's smart city project.
- The Union Territory scored 75 out of the possible 100 marks in the first stage evaluation.
- The Puducherry Municipal Corporation showed 18% improvement in terms of sanitation, increased revenue generation for the past 3 years and had paid salaries of its employees till last month.
List consisting of 98 smart cities unveiled
28 Aug 2015
- Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu unveiled the list of 98 cities which made it to the smart city list.
- Uttar Pradesh had the maximum of 13 cities, followed by Tamil Nadu with 12.
- Of the 98 cities, 24 are capitals, 24 business and industrial centres, rest were chosen for being centres of education, tourism and culture and port cities.
PM Modi's US visit: US to help India develop three smart cities Allahabad, Ajmer and Visakhapatnam - timesofindia-economictimes
PM Narendra Modi's pet 100 Smart Cities project gets Cabinet's approval - timesofindia-economictimes
Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to France: Toulouse model planned for smart city project - The Hindu