Madhya Pradesh: 10-year-old boy, who consumed poison, was hungry
The National Commission of Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) has found the 10-year-old tribal boy, who consumed insecticide in Madhya Pradesh's Ratlam district, was hungry.
The boy lives in Ponbatta village of the district, and was taken to a local hospital by villagers. He was later referred to Ratlam.
He is undergoing treatment and is currently out of danger, reports claimed.
Backstory: The sorry tale caught media attention
The incident took place on December 29, last year. After the story caught attention, it was reported the child was denied wheat by a local ration shop.
Acting on hunger, he consumed the first thing he could lay his hands on.
A team of NCPCR took cognizance of the matter and visited the village on Saturday.
The boy's family owned 19 bigha of land: NCPCR
Raghvendra Sharma, the chairman of the body, said the boy informed the team there was no food in the house.
"He was so hungry that he drank whatever he could lay his hands on, however, the family jointly owns 19 bigha of land," he said.
The boy's father had gone to Kota in Rajasthan to work as a daily laborer.
Love India news?
Stay updated with the latest happenings.
Yes, notify me
Father took ration for last time in November
The body also learned that the boy's father, Nanuram, had taken ration from the public distribution system (PDS) shop in November. Nanuram confirmed there was no ration at his house and claimed the administration was trying to suppress the matter.
National Commission of Protection of Child Rights
Most asked questions
What happened in Madhya Pradesh?
Askedby Sai Balasubramanium
What action was taken after this incident?
Askedby Reyansh Mehra
What did the team of National Commission of Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) find?
Askedby Pranav Jayaraman
What did the boy's father say?
Askedby Aaradhya Tambe