Gaya teen murder: Police accused of falsehood


11 Jan 2019

Gaya teen murder: Police blame victim's family; activists allege falsehood

The savage murder of a minor girl in Gaya has sent shockwaves across the city.

Protests have erupted, candle marches have been taken out, and public anger is at an all-time high.

Yet, it is still unclear who murdered the girl - while police say that her own family got her killed, activists have alleged that police are peddling a false narrative.

Here's more.


The girl's headless, mutilated body was found on January 6

The girl's headless, mutilated body was found on January 6

The girl had gone missing from her home in Gaya on December 28, and days later, on January 6, her headless body was found in a decomposed condition.

When her severed head was discovered 5km away, it was found that her face had been burnt with acid.

There were deep gashes on her torso, and her breasts had been cut off too.


What the victim's family has alleged

Following the gruesome discovery, the victim's family alleged that she had been gang-raped and then murdered.

They had also accused the police of inaction, alleging that the cops refused to file a missing persons report when they reported their daughter to be missing.

Police, however, have a different narrative, and think the victim's family is responsible for her murder.

Love India news?

Stay updated with the latest happenings.

Yes, notify Me


The police's version of the facts of the case

The police's version of the facts of the case

While the family maintains that the girl went missing on December 28 and never returned, police say that she returned home on December 31.

However, on that very night, the girl was sent out again by her father with a person known to the family.

This person has been detained by the police, but he has denied murdering the girl.

Meanwhile, the girl's father is in police custody.

Police think it is a case of honor killing

"It's a case of honor killing. The girl eloped with someone on December 28 from her home in Patwa panchayat but returned after three days. This angered the parents, who plotted the cold-blooded murder with the help of a butcher friend," Gaya SSP Rajiv Kumar Mishra told HT.


What activists have to say about the case

Activists, however, have pointed out several discrepancies.

Speaking to Outlook, activists said that the police are trying to silence the girl's family and are peddling false narratives.

They also said that the girl's autopsy report was due on January 9, but has still not been released.

Further, they said that CCTV footage showed the girl leaving home on December 28, but she was not seen coming back.

Media is being fed false stories by police, says neighbor

"Higher authorities and the police are manufacturing stories and the media is reporting it," a neighbor who did not wish to be named told Outlook.

Public anger

Public anger has reached boiling point; protesters demanding swift justice

Public anger has reached boiling point; protesters demanding swift justice

Meanwhile, public anger in Gaya has reached a boiling point over the lack of arrests and a perceived delay in police action.

A series of candle light marches were taken out on Tuesday and Wednesday, while schools, factories, and weavers shut down operations on January 9 to protest against the gruesome murder.

Protests have also rocked other parts of Bihar, including the capital, Patna.

Share this timeline



Honor Killing




Gaya SSP Rajiv Kumar Mishra


Rajiv Kumar Mishra

Share this timeline

Ask NewsBytes
User Image

Next Timeline