24 Jan 2019
Indian Railways' e-Drishti software: All you need to know
In a bid to enhance transparency and vigilance in the Railways department, the Indian Railways, in association with Centre For Railway Information Systems (CRIS) has launched a software system called e-Drishti.
The platform aims to help the Railway Ministry to keep real-time and efficient track of daily rail updates, project reports, station standards, passenger grievances, and so on.
Punctuality monitoring; Passenger/Freight earnings information
1) Punctuality is a huge concern for the Indian Railways. The e-Drishti software, therefore, will supply train timing information directly to the Ministry, on a daily-basis. This will help the department to better monitor punctuality performance of trains, and take necessary corrective actions.
2) The service will also make available, information concerned with freight and passenger earnings of the trains.
Real-time check on Railway stations, projects progress, and food-quality
3) The system will also let the Ministry to keep a check on railway stations, focusing on aspects such as safety and sanitation.
4) Real-time updates about major projects shall be sent via the system, in order to make policy and decision-making swifter.
5) Furthermore, to ensure better quality control of Railway food, live CCTV footage of IRCTC base kitchens can also be seen.
Other recent developments
Apart from the e-Drishti system, the national transporter has launched many user-friendly services to promote greater convenience and ease to passengers. These include an online e-Disha chatbox, post-paid facility for ticket bookings, cheaper travel insurance, waiving-off of debit-card transaction charges, and push-notifications service, among others.