SRK's heartfelt gratitude towards MCA for lifting ban

4 Aug 2015 | By Siripriya

Shah Rukh Khan, the co-owner of Kolkata Knight Riders has expressed his gratitude towards the MCA (Mumbai Cricket Association) for showing "graciousness" in lifting the 5 year ban levied on him from entering the Wankhede Stadium.

He tweeted, "My gentle father-in-law made me realise how lil it matters who was rite or who was wrong. Wot matters is grace. Thnx MCA for ur graciousness."

In context: King Khan's Wankhede row

16 May 2012The scuffle at Wankhede in IPL-5

Following his team KKR's 32-run victory against MI, SRK got indulged in a ruckus with the security staff and officials of the MCA at Wankhede stadium.

The brawl ensued after the security officials stopped a bunch of kids from entering the grounds to celebrate after the match was over.

The MCA alleged that when SRK was prevented from entering the grounds, he became abusive.

17 May 2012Banned from Wankhede for 5 years

Subsequently, the MCA had filed a police complaint, accusing the superstar of being drunk and misbehaving.

The Association's managing committee, then headed by the late Vilasrao Deshmukh banned SRK from entering the MCA premises, including the Wankhede stadium, for five years.

Deshmukh had said, "I was told he used abusive language. They tried to pacify him but he wasn't in the mood."

Love India news?
Stay updated with the latest happenings.

Shukla's displeasure

Post the imposition of the ban, IPL chairman, Rajeev Shukla expressed his displeasure by tweeting, "It is unfortunate that a team owner is not able to watch an IPL match."
King Khan refutes charges against him

16 May 2012King Khan refutes charges against him

SRK denied any misconduct and stated that he reacted only when his kids were 'mishandled' by the security staff and refused to apologize for the incident.

Instead, he had stated that the security officials should apologize to him for their misbehaviour towards him and his kids.

He stated that his son and his classmates wanted to play on the sidelines but were ill-treated.

SRK repents

A week after the ban was imposed, SRK released a statement- "I want to apologize to the kids for my misbehaviour at MCA. I apologize to all who saw me differently. I shouldn't have behaved in that manner."

2 Aug 2015SRK's ban from Wankhede finally revoked

In a managing committee meeting that was held on Sunday, MCA decided to invalidate the five-year ban on SRK from Wankhede Stadium.

MCA decided to revoke the ban which was supposed to be lifted in 2017 as SRK had already served a considerable period (3 years) of it with dignity.

The move came as a relief to the BCCI and IPL chairman, Rajiv Shukla.

Love India news?
Stay updated with the latest happenings.

SRK missed out on key IPL match

SRK, the charismatic co-owner of Kolkata Knight Riders missed out on a key match of IPL 2015 on 14 May 2015 between KKR and MI which was held at Wankhede Stadium, as the ban was in place.

4 Aug 2015SRK's heartfelt gratitude towards MCA for lifting ban

05 Oct 2016SRK gets clean-chit in Wankhede controversy

In a sign of relief for actor Shah Rukh Khan, the Mumbai police have declared that no "cognizable offence" was committed by Khan during a scuffle after an IPL match in 2012 at Wankhede stadium.

A social activist filed a complaint in a Mumbai Metropolitan Magistrate with regard to the incident, seeking action against Khan; he had earlier filed a complaint in the HC.