31 May 2019
Rajasthan shocker: 16-year-old dies after losing a PUBG game
Written byAyushi Chamoli ·
Since its launch, popular online game, PUBG, has garnered a crazy and addictive user base.
In the past year, we came across several reports which highlighted the negative effects of PUBG.
And now another shocking incident has come to fore. Reportedly, a 16-year-old boy, Furqan Qureshi, died due to cardiac arrest after losing a PUBG game on May 26.
Here's what went down.
Furqan was a decent student but got hooked to smartphone
Furqan was a Class XII student from Nasirabad, Rajasthan.
Apart from being good in studies, he was an excellent Volleyball player and a decent theater artist.
As per his father, Haroon Rashid Qureshi, Furqan was distracted from his academics and extra-curricular activities.
Notably, it was his love for PUBG that kept him hooked to his smartphone.
Furqan didn't eat for days after father took his phone
Just two weeks before Furqan died, Haroon confiscated his phone. The father was, quite understandably, angry with his addiction.
Subsequently, Furqan retaliated by refusing to eat anything for two-three days. His mother convinced Haroon to return the teenager's phone.
However, Furqan promised to keep his addiction in check. He assured them that he would play PUBG for only half an hour daily.
Furqan didn't keep his promise, played PUBG all night
But let's face it, PUBG lovers can't control their addiction and Furqan was no different.
When the family went on a visit to their ancestral home in Neemuch, Madhya Pradesh, for the wedding of Furqan's cousin, the teenager remained busy with PUBG.
He spent the entire night of May 25 playing PUBG, his father revealed.
Furqan complained of headache before collapsing
Despite spending the entire night playing PUBG, Furqan wasn't satisfied.
The next day he started playing at around 12:30 PM and ended his game at 6:30 PM. He didn't take a break.
Fiza, Furqan's sister who is two years younger to him, suddenly heard him shout at other players as he lost the game.
He complained of a headache before collapsing, she said.
Furqan was declared dead on arrival by cardiologist
After hearing Fiza's scream, Haroon reached the room only to find his son lying unconscious. He was immediately rushed to cardiologist Dr. Ashok Jain, who declared him dead on arrival. Later, Dr. Jain suspected that the failure in the battle game led to cardiac arrest.
'Severe cardiac arrest triggered by sudden, but deep shock'
According to Dr. Jain, "The death was caused possibly by severe cardiac arrest triggered by sudden, but deep shock."
"It's quite possible that since the teenager had been playing the game for long hours at a stretch, he could have delved into some kind of syndrome from which it was difficult to come out," he further added.
Father demands Modi government to ban the game in India
Meanwhile, Haroon has asked the Narendra Modi-led government to ban the game in the country as it is making young minds vulnerable.
Earlier this year, Gujarat's education department also sought a ban on the game over its addictive effects in January.
In February, BJP's Yashpal Singh Sisodia raised a similar issue in Madhya Pradesh assembly.