Rohtak rape, a reminder of Nirbhaya


14 May 2017

Rohtak rape- 23-year-old brutalized, mutilated, gang-raped in horrific Nirbhaya reminder

A few days after the SC confirmed death sentence for Nirbhaya's rapists, a similar horrific crime has shaken Rohtak.

A 23-year-old woman was allegedly abducted by her jilted lover and his friends, gang-raped, brutalized and murdered.

Her mutilated body was found two days later. The accused also disfigured her face with a brick and ran her body over with a car to prevent identification.


Angry jilted lover committed the crime in anger

The victim allegedly had an argument with Sumit, the prime accused, days earlier. He was allegedly trying to woo her but she rejected his advances.

On May 9, he and his associates kidnapped her from Sonipat. Sumit had allegedly assaulted her earlier too, her parents claimed.

Her body was found on May 11 near the Industrial Model Township in Urban Estate, Rohtak.

Post mortem reveals brutal mutilation

By the time the victim's body was found, stray dogs had eaten her face and lower portions. Port mortem confirmed her skull had been shattered into pieces. "Sharp-edged objects" had also likely been inserted into her vagina. Sedatives were also found in her stomach.

Love India news?

Stay updated with the latest happenings.

Yes, notify Me

15 May 2017

Rohtak gangrape- SIT, fast-track court for quick disposal of case

Police have arrested 24-year-old Sumit and 28-year-old Vikas and charged them for abduction, rape and murder in the Rohtak gangrape case.

Since both the victim and the prime accused are Dalits, a case has been lodged under the SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act.

However, her family has alleged the involvement of five more persons.

An SIT is probing the case.


Police inaction to blame?

Police inaction to blame?

The victim's parents alleged they had approached police a month ago to complain about Sumit harassing their daughter, but cops took no action.

However, Sonipat Superintendent of Police Ashwin Shenvi denied the charges. "It was a verbal complaint, there was no written complaint to police station," he said.

He added the complainants later said "there was no need for police action".

Share this timeline

Share this timeline

Ask NewsBytes
User Image

Next Timeline