Dance bars to re-open after 8 years
16 Jul 2013
- The Supreme Court sustained Bombay High Court's order that allowed dance bar owners to reapply for licences.
- The dance bars were re-opened after 8 years of ban by the state government.
- The ban in April 2005 had put 1.5 lakh people out of job, including 70,000 bar girls.
- The government's logic was that dance bars were a bad influence on society and encouraged prostitution.
SC to hear plea against dance bar ban
13 Sep 2014
- Supreme Court agreed to hear a plea against the renewed ban on dance bars and issued a notice to the state which is to be answered in four weeks.
- The plea mentioned that the new law was brought in to nullify the SC order that had stayed the ban.
- Women's rights groups had described the ban as "arbitrary, discriminatory and unreasonable moral policing".
SC asks Maharashtra government to give dance-bar licences
26 Nov 2015
- The Supreme Court asked the Maharashtra government to settle on applications that sought licences for dance bars in 2 weeks.
- Maharashtra government told the SC that its ruling will be adhered to and all "eligible hoteliers will be given licences."
- Government had claimed that bars were leading to alcoholism in youngsters and hence had withheld licenses to put a stop.
4 Mumbai dance bars get permits to operate
16 Mar 2016
- 4 dance bars in Mumbai got the licence from the state government on the orders of SC, 11 years after they were first closed down.
- It will take another 4-5 days for these bars to become operational.
- They need the 'Rangabhoomi licence' from the cultural affairs ministry and police verification before they open.
- 16 more bars are expected to get permits in 2-3 days.
Maharashtra government imposes more rules for dance bars
30 Mar 2016
- Despite SC's ruling on dance bars, the Maharashtra government has decided to impose strict conditions to regulate the dance bars.
- In the draft of the new bill, provision of CCTV cameras was made compulsory.
- No bars can come up within 1km of any educational or religious institution.
- Further, the bars will be asked to restrict operation till 11.30pm (any violation would invite a fine).
Maha: Will abide by SC dance bar order
28 Apr 2016
- Maharashtra Finance Minister Sudhir Mungantiwar has said that the Devendra Fadnavis-led BJP government in the state would adhere by the Supreme Court's remarks on the dance bar issue.
- The SC told the Maharashtra government that "government's measures can't be prohibitory," as dance is a profession and an art form.
- The Maharashtra Government assured the apex court that the state government's rules would be revised.
SC-Maharashtra: Approve 8 dance bars by 12 May
11 May 2016
- The Supreme Court has directed the Maharashtra government to grant licenses to eight dance bars in the next two days, stipulating strict conditions for the same.
- The conditions include getting an undertaking by bar owners that employees with criminal records would not be allowed near the dance area.
- The SC has given until today to receive the undertakings and until Thursday to grant licenses.
Liquor ban, CCTV unacceptable in dance bars: SC
23 Sep 2016
- The Supreme Court allowed three dance bars in Maharashtra to operate without CCTV cameras and serve alcohol until 1.30 AM.
- The three bars, the only one to get licenses, challenged a plea by Mumbai Police to add CCTV cameras and prohibit alcohol sales within the premises.
- Passing a temporary judgement, the SC will hear the case again on 24 November.
Maharashtra bar workers' association move SC against ban on dancers
27 Feb 2017
- Under the banner 'Bharatiya Bargirls Union', Maharashtra's bar workers, including singers and waitresses, have moved the Supreme Court, challenging a 2016 state law prohibiting dances by women in such places.
- Saying the law stigmatized their work, the association said the state's deliberately-vague definition of 'obscene dance' allowed law enforcers to target and harass women performers.
- Similar performances are common at weddings, it submitted.
Maharashtra Government Will Abide by SC Order: Mungantiwar on Dance Bar Issue - The New Indian Express
PC: 'Supreme Court of India - 200705 (edited)' by Legaleagle86 at en.wikipedia. Licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 via Wikimedia Commons