What is the Constitution of India?
- The Constitution of India is the supreme law which makes the government system work.
- It contains the framework defining fundamental political principles, powers and duties of government institutions, etc.
- The final copy of the Constitution was drafted by Dr BR Ambedkar and his team.
- It was adopted by Constituent Assembly of India on 26 November 1949 and came into effect on 26 January 1950.
What does the Constitution say?
The Constitution declares India a sovereign, socialist, secular, democratic republic, assuring its citizens of justice, equality, and liberty, and endeavors to promote fraternity among them.
The process of making the Constitution
- A 389-member Constituent Assembly was founded on 9 December 1946 and it took them about 3 years to draft the Constitution of India.
- It was influenced from the British Constitution, US Constitution, Irish Constitution, Australian Constitution, French Constitution, Canadian Constitution and the Constitution of Soviet Union.
- The Constitution in its current form consists of a Preamble, 25-parts containing 448-articles, 12-schedules, 5-appendices and 100 amendments.
Who is Dr. B R Ambedkar?
- Born on 14 April 1891, Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar, popularly known as Babasaheb, was an Indian jurist, economist, politician and social reformer.
- He was Independent India's first Law Minister and the principal architect of the Constitution of India.
- He was a vocal advocate of political rights and social freedom for Dalits.
- India's highest civilian award, the Bharat Ratna was conferred upon him posthumously in 1990.
India to observe November 26 as Constitution Day
- After laying the foundation stone of Dr Ambedkar Memorial at Indu Mills Compound in Mumbai, PM Modi declared that November 26 would be observed as Constitution Day.
- He said that every year on 26 November, children would be taught about the Constitution and its chief architect Dr BR Ambedkar.
- He added that the five landmarks associated with Ambedkar would be developed as pilgrimage sites.
Lengthiest Constitution in the world
The Indian Constitution is the longest written constitution of any sovereign country in the world.
Parliament to be lit up on Constitution Day
- Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs had decided to illuminate the Parliament House Complex on the occasion of Constitution Day.
- The ministry also decided to have a special session of Parliament in which lawmakers will pay tribute to BR Ambedkar.
- Schools have also been asked to hold a special session in which students would read about the Preamble of the constitution.
PM Modi greets India on first Constitution Day
- Greeting the country on the first Constitution Day, PM Modi said that this day would inspire people to know more about the Constitution.
- Saluting Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar, he said that the mention of Constitution is incomplete without him.
- He added that Constitution's founding fathers would be very proud if the people create an India that uphold its ideas and values.